A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

My MMI has been possessed by a poltergeist

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My MMI has been possessed by a poltergeist

Several months ago, the MMI on my out-of-warranty, 2012 A7 Prestige began acting flakey.
  • First I lost my list of contacts and upon reloading, they would dissappear again after a few days. Reseting the MMI would sometimes help...but eventually, the contacts would again be lost.
  • I then lost the NAV "Last Destination" history multiple times.
  • Most recently while driving, the MMI panel will randomly close, reopen and the MMI will reboot. This happens most often when I am on a phone call while using navigation...thus disconnecting my call. Yesterday, the reboot was happening about every 10 minutes...Arrggghhh!!!

I expect the problem may have to do with the memory/storage going bad in the MMI computer. However, I am holding out hope that reloading the entire MMI firmware and software may resolve the issue. My concern is that my Audi dealer is immediately going to go the "replace the MMI for $$$$$" route rather than giving the software update/reload a try first. I have thought about buying the software from the source listed elsewhere on this forum and updating myself; but I didn't want to risk Audi authorized service until I have my local dealer take a look at the problem.

My question for the forum is...Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? How was it resolved and at what cost?

Last edited by jfourman; 12-21-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have the answer. But in terms of troubleshooting I assume software doesn't go bad. It either works or it doesn't. I mean, if it worked for a few years it should continue to work. So I would focus on a hardware issue. Changing phones could create a software incompatibility issue though.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfourman
Several months ago, the MMI on my out-of-warranty, 2012 A7 Prestige began acting flakey.
  • First I lost my list of contacts and upon reloading, they would dissappear again after a few days. Reseting the MMI would sometimes help...but eventually, the contacts would again be lost.
  • I then lost the NAV "Last Destination" history multiple times.
  • Most recently while driving, the MMI panel will randomly close, reopen and the MMI will reboot. This happens most often when I am on a phone call while using navigation...thus disconnecting my call. Yesterday, the reboot was happening about every 10 minutes...Arrggghhh!!!

I expect the problem may have to do with the memory/storage going bad in the MMI computer. However, I am holding out hope that reloading the entire MMI firmware and software may resolve the issue. My concern is that my Audi dealer is immediately going to go the "replace the MMI for $$$$$" route rather than giving the software update/reload a try first. I have thought about buying the software from the source listed elsewhere on this forum and updating myself; but I didn't want to risk Audi authorized service until I have my local dealer take a look at the problem.

My question for the forum is...Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? How was it resolved and at what cost?
I suspect you may have a failing 5F comfort / convenience controller. (controls MMI, audio, and most memory settings) Had similar issues on my new 2016 S7. Controller was replaced. Problem fixed. Had the same issue on a D3 A8 I used to own. Bought the part and replaced it myself. But, still had to visit the dealer to unlock it due to it's theft protection feature. Either way, not cheap.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
I suspect you may have a failing 5F comfort / convenience controller. (controls MMI, audio, and most memory settings) Had similar issues on my new 2016 S7. Controller was replaced. Problem fixed. Had the same issue on a D3 A8 I used to own. Bought the part and replaced it myself. But, still had to visit the dealer to unlock it due to it's theft protection feature. Either way, not cheap.
Thanks! That information will be very helpful. It's so beneficial to go into the dealer with an idea of the actual issue.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I disagree about software glitches developing. There are any number of reasons that can cause code to get corrupted in any computer. Nevertheless, if the phone is affected along with the other MMI issues, that would seem to point to failing hardware, most likely the 5F control module.