A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New to me 2015 A7 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2015 A7 Prestige

Hello everyone! New owner reporting in to share my ride and ask a few questions. I picked up this beautiful black on black A7 last week and was waiting to share until I could properly wash and wax her (we had a week of storms here in the northeast PA area). I do want to thank all the users who have helped with questions I asked and to everyone for the wealth of information on theses forums.

I do not want to do a full review here but just some initial impressions about this car: It is awesome! I got the 3.0 gas variant as the diesels are too hard to find and too expensive compared to their gas siblings. I am thoroughly impressed with the ride and how comfortable and smooth everything is. I have yet to take it on a spirited ride but just everyday driving is a joy and really comfortable. I had it up to 115pmh on a stretch of highway and it felt like I was going 85mph. The fit and finish of the car is great, the technology and creature comforts are really convenient and easy to use, and the car is somehow more stunning than the pics do justice. I think I am in love haha.

So, on to the questions:
What are some of the essential mods I should consider?
I plan on doing tints for the windows (probably not for the lights or indicators). As far as power I may do the APR tune eventually but not until next spring as I pushed my budget on this purchase.

What do you think looks nicer, the RS7 grill or stock?
IMO the stock grill looks more elegant whereas the RS7 grill definitely adds a sportiness to the look. I am torn between the two. Either way I have to make a purchase as PA does not require a front license plate so I want to replace with the filler panel if I keep stock to have a cleaner look. Surprisingly an entire RS7 grill is cheaper than the filler panel for the stock grill!

Any recommendation on aftermarket warranties?
Previous history for the car was 1 owner who leased the whole time so warranty period is over (has just over 50k miles). I have 2 months from purchase date to decide on something as NJ lemon law requires dealerships to fix any powertrain issues if something should occur in that timeframe. At least that's how it was explained to me by the dealership. Debating on just saving in case of major repairs or at least getting a powertrain warranty for a year or two for peace of mind.

Thanks again, I hope to be a little more active on these forums now.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking car Chinny. They are really nice and exclusive in stock condition. Just drive and smile.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the new car! I have a 2012 A7 Prestige in Phantom Black. Beautiful for the 15 minutes you can keep it clean..

Originally Posted by Chinny570
What are some of the essential mods I should consider?
So many things to do... Although I do love those stock wheels (and the 20" 10 double-spoke mine had), I swapped the wheels pretty early on. And tinted the windows. I think the tint helps reinforce the beautiful lines.
I used VCDS to turn off the side marker lights, and then I used plastidip to coat the lenses. The painted covers that are available will look the best, but with black, mine are hardly noticeable, unless you know what to look for.
Not much later, i did an EPL Stage 1 93 octane toon. Very happy with those increases, and I think it smoothed out the 1-2-3 shifting a bit. More recently I DIY'd the supercharger pulley swap and upgraded to a Stage 2 tune.

What do you think looks nicer, the RS7 grill or stock?
I have really really debated this myself. Previously I had a S5 and did a RS5 style grille on it, which was a great upgrade. I really do like the stock A7 grille better than other stock grilles, so I haven't pulled the trigger on that upgrade. I have the night vision camera, so options are slimmer, but I did find one on eBay. Still haven't decided yet. I might do it if I decide to black out chrome, etc. Maybe when I get around to doing a wrap.

Any recommendation on aftermarket warranties?
I debated this as well, especially since I bought a high-mileage car. In the end, I decided to forgo the warranty based on the reliability record of the 3.0T. Found a good shop in the area and using them to help with the ongoing maintenance.

Two years later, I still look back at the car as I walk away. I'm sure you will be the same way!

Old 07-29-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by orangeokie
Nice looking car Chinny. They are really nice and exclusive in stock condition. Just drive and smile.
Thank you! Been smiling all week honestly

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
Congrats on the new car! I have a 2012 A7 Prestige in Phantom Black. Beautiful for the 15 minutes you can keep it clean..

So many things to do... Although I do love those stock wheels (and the 20" 10 double-spoke mine had), I swapped the wheels pretty early on. And tinted the windows. I think the tint helps reinforce the beautiful lines.
I used VCDS to turn off the side marker lights, and then I used plastidip to coat the lenses. The painted covers that are available will look the best, but with black, mine are hardly noticeable, unless you know what to look for.
Not much later, i did an EPL Stage 1 93 octane toon. Very happy with those increases, and I think it smoothed out the 1-2-3 shifting a bit. More recently I DIY'd the supercharger pulley swap and upgraded to a Stage 2 tune.

I have really really debated this myself. Previously I had a S5 and did a RS5 style grille on it, which was a great upgrade. I really do like the stock A7 grille better than other stock grilles, so I haven't pulled the trigger on that upgrade. I have the night vision camera, so options are slimmer, but I did find one on eBay. Still haven't decided yet. I might do it if I decide to black out chrome, etc. Maybe when I get around to doing a wrap.

I debated this as well, especially since I bought a high-mileage car. In the end, I decided to forgo the warranty based on the reliability record of the 3.0T. Found a good shop in the area and using them to help with the ongoing maintenance.

Two years later, I still look back at the car as I walk away. I'm sure you will be the same way!

Keeping it clean will be a labor of love haha. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ride, nice looking A7. Tints are my first priority as I agree they make the car look way better. Then I'll try to decide on a grill.

As far as a tune and warranty goes I think I'll only do one or the other. Maybe a 1 year warranty to see how maintenance and reliability is. Then after I could see if it's worth it.

​​​​​​​
Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice and congrats. Are you going to do a Stage tune?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davepjr71
Very nice and congrats. Are you going to do a Stage tune?
I am definitely interested in doing that eventually, but most likely not until next year due to budget constraints. Also I would like to possibly get a warranty for a year or so for peace of mind so I wouldn't do that until warranty expires .

If I do go with a tune most likely APR stage 1 to start then keep going down that road if the itch continues ha
Old 08-03-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am definitely interested in doing that eventually, but most likely not until next year due to budget constraints. Also I would like to possibly get a warranty for a year or so for peace of mind so I wouldn't do that until warranty expires .

If I do go with a tune most likely APR stage 1 to start then keep going down that road if the itch continues ha
APR now has a "plus" tune that comes with a warranty. Something to think about.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davepjr71
APR now has a "plus" tune that comes with a warranty. Something to think about.
I just heard about that recently as well but I believe it only covers manufacturers warranty period if something happens. Mine is over 50k miles so it's out of warranty