A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New Tires for S7

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires for S7

Sorry to post on the A7 board but not a lot of activity on the S7 board and I need some opinions.

Going in for my 45k service in October and the dealership can be pushy with advanced wear items so I know they are going to recommend new tires. Did my own measurements and I am getting measurements between 4 to 6 32nd checking inner and outer grooves. I am currently running Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 all the way around and like the tires. I bought the car, 2015, about 1 year ago so don't know how many miles are on the tires. The dealer seems to always recommend new tires if you are below 5 which is why I am expecting the push. Does anyone know what the original tread depth is for this tire? My thinking is if they come with say 7/32 new than I may still have a lot of tread left as this tire does not appear to be of the sort that would have a deep tread depth to begin with. My Toyota Tundra, for example, came with aggressive tires which were 13/32 deep when new but then those are more mud/snow/offroad tires.

I am in Northern Idaho and the car might see snow this winter but I do tend to drive my truck more in the winter to keep my S7 looking good. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Tirerack.com is your friend....

Your tires came new with 10/32 tread depth.

If you were going to be driving your car in the snow, I'd think about replacing them. But I'd wait until snow is on the ground.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
If you were going to be driving your car in the snow, I'd think about replacing them. But I'd wait until snow is on the ground.
The DWS 06 comes with a gauge molded into the tire. It might come in handy if the dealer says they're worn out.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evergreen, us A7 TDI guys don't don't put down nearly the HP you S7 guys do on a day to day basis. Nevertheless, one thing I am constantly thinking about on my Panamera Turbo is the condition of my tires under high HP load. If I am going to ere, it would be on the safety side of the ledger. When I put the pedal to the metal I want plenty of fresh rubber down there, if you know what I mean. Tires are cheap in comparison to our lives and the safety of our loved ones. Just something to think about.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Most road tires start at 10/32". The DWS is no different. But it's unique in the sense that it has the letters DWS molded into the thread. They are at different depths and tell you the status of your tire for the various conditions. Once the S has worn off, they are no good for snow anymore and once the W has worn off no more driving in the wet and lastly once the D is gone, they are done. So take a look at yours and you have your answer.

Originally Posted by orangeokie
Evergreen, us A7 TDI guys don't don't put down nearly the HP you S7 guys do on a day to day basis. Nevertheless, one thing I am constantly thinking about on my Panamera Turbo is the condition of my tires under high HP load. If I am going to ere, it would be on the safety side of the ledger. When I put the pedal to the metal I want plenty of fresh rubber down there, if you know what I mean. Tires are cheap in comparison to our lives and the safety of our loved ones. Just something to think about.
A tire has maximum dry grip when it is most worn. The tread only matters for wet driving to dispel water and avoid aquaplaning, and grab on to snow in case of winter tires. Newer tires don't perform as well for high power driving until they have worn down. Many tires on super cars like Ferrari start with lower tread and others shave their tires down for better dry performance

Last edited by superswiss; 08-26-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses, I did not know about the DWS thing. Found all the letters on all 4 tires so looks like no new tires for me in the near future. However, I know the dealer will try to plant the seed that I need new tires now; I will educate them on the DWS.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

There are always people selling rims and tires for good prices. If you have the space and find smaller rims that can be used in the winter pick them up whenever you find them. That's what I did. I found almost new DWS on 18" rims for my A7. I took them off too soon though and blew out 2 of my 20" tires.