A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

New vs. Old Technical Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vs. Old Technical Solutions

Since 2006 I have owned several A6s and currently an A7. What I have liked is that the basic technologies in all of these cars stayed the same, stayed familiar. When I got into a new Audi I didn’t need to learn much or get used to it for the most part because it was so similar to the previous car.

I will be in the market soon and wanted to get opinions from those of you who have had Audis previously and who now drive a current generation car.

Specifically, I am interested in your opinions on the following:

Shifter - New Audis no longer have a traditional shifter that physically moves from the P position to the R position to D etc. They now have a shifter that toggles from gear to gear position.

MMI - The MMI is now touch screens and no longer the dial / button / switches solution.

Gauge Cluster - The gauges are now a high resolution display screen instead of the traditional dial and pointer type.

I worry that I will not like and not be able to get used to these features.

If this were a poll, I would ask you to vote:

- I dislike the new technical solutions and preferred the prior solutions
- I see the new technical solutions as far superior, and would not want to return to the prior solutions
- I see no great difference between the two

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

We are creatures of habit. We get used to certain things and have great difficulty letting it go and embrace something new and different, unless there is a compelling reason to do it.

Designers of cars are very aware of this, and they put a lot of effort into making the transition as smooth and unobtrusive as possible. As an example, when changing from a traditional mechanical gauge to a graphic image on a high res display screen, they try to make the image look as close to the old mechanical unit as possible. So the transition isn't as difficult as you think.

At the same time, it is much easier to create user definable options and give choices on a display panel, while the old mechanical device is not changeable at all. The same is true for mechanical switches and buttons.

So, I do see the new technical solutions as far superior, and would not want to return to the prior solutions. The ability to customize the display, the possible choices are great (IMHO). There is no way to change the mechanical devices. In the electronic versions, an easy software download can create major changes or additions.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As someone who has previously owned 4 A6s (2001, 2005, 2008, 2010) and 3 A7s (2012, 2015 and 2019) I've seen the technology change and after the learning curve I can always vote that I would never want to return to the old versions.

I've had a learning curve with the new A7, but grown to love it. Sure the shifter is difference, but I'm used to it now. The screens are touch, but you learn where to press without looking. I love the gauge cluster

Once Hans Stuck (long time Porsche and Audi factory racing driver) was asked what is the best Porsche you ever driven. His answer was "the next model".