A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Noises starting to drive me crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
aquarian, how did you take out that B pillar trim?

Thanks

It was quite easy. The trim is secured by 2 tabs on the bottom and 2 protrusions on the top (see my photo). All you need to do is to pull firmly the bottom of the trim towards you to release the 2 tabs/clips. Then, pull the whole trim downward to release the 2 top protrusions of the trim. The rear passenger vent has a wire feeding to it for light so make sure you unclip the wire before the full removal of the trim. Hope this helps.

What kind of noises are you getting?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
It was quite easy. The trim is secured by 2 tabs on the bottom and 2 protrusions on the top (see my photo). All you need to do is to pull firmly the bottom of the trim towards you to release the 2 tabs/clips. Then, pull the whole trim downward to release the 2 top protrusions of the trim. The rear passenger vent has a wire feeding to it for light so make sure you unclip the wire before the full removal of the trim. Hope this helps.

What kind of noises are you getting?
Thank You for the trim removal instructions. I have a A6 but the B pillar trims looks the same. I am getting a minor tapping or ticking noise on rough roads, almost sounds like something is not tight. I stuff some velrco on the bottom of that trim you took off, the noise is greatly reduced, not sure if its due to the velcro or the warm up in the weather.

Last edited by The G Man; 03-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look at what I also did!!! I have noises at the left LED strip area where the leg touches, so I wanted to see what's going on.

It looks like the only way to remove the wood trim from the center console is to remove the whole center console first, then the wood trim is simply bolted in by multiple screws.....

Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank You for the trim removal instructions. I have a A6 but the B pillar trims looks the same. I am getting a minor tapping or ticking noise on rough roads, almost sounds like something is not tight. I stuff some velrco on the bottom of that trim you took off, the noise is greatly reduced, not sure if its due to the velcro or the warm up in the weather.

Look at one of the photos I posted of the open area after the trim removal. The only thing that's behind the b-pillar trim where you stuffed Velcro is the duct that feeds to the left rear passenger. By pushing the duct around I was able to create some noises. What I did was to put some thick felt tape behind the duct so that the duct is a little more stabilized.

Maybe the trim is also rubbing against the bottom plastic piece.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Look at one of the photos I posted of the open area after the trim removal. The only thing that's behind the b-pillar trim where you stuffed Velcro is the duct that feeds to the left rear passenger. By pushing the duct around I was able to create some noises. What I did was to put some thick felt tape behind the duct so that the duct is a little more stabilized.

Maybe the trim is also rubbing against the bottom plastic piece.
Did the felt tape behind the duct and on the trim piece get rid of your noise?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did the felt tape behind the duct and on the trim piece get rid of your noise?

Good question! I haven't driven my usual commute today so I won't know until tomorrow. Hopefully that did it though.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aquarian: Did you remove the console using a pry tool. Is there a recommended procedure?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good question! I haven't driven my usual commute today so I won't know until tomorrow. Hopefully that did it though.
Please keep us posted, thanks for the pics.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jfourman
aquarian: Did you remove the console using a pry tool. Is there a recommended procedure?

Yeah, a plastic pry tool will be helpful.

I haven't seen an official console removal procedure for the A7 but most Audi's are very similar. The black shifter piece/MMI console is only held on by 4 very tight clips. What you do is to use both hands and pull firmly upward the top part of the console. By doing that you will partially release the 2 upper clips (visible on the photo I posted). Then just carefully pry your way around the console to release the other clips.

WARNING: Before you remove the shifter **** from the steel stick by turning the plastic ring counter-clockwise, you must pull out the **** button a bit and find something (zip-tie per Audi's instruction on Q7) to hold the button at its current position. If you don't do that, the button will be sucked into the **** (spring-loaded) and re installation of the **** will be impossible, unless you can pull the thumb button out.

As me how I know. Fortunately, I used 2 mini suction cups to pull out the button so I could put everything back in.

Last edited by aquarian; 03-08-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Please keep us posted, thanks for the pics.

Yup. The noises are gone. At least I didn't hear a thing from the b-pillar this morning.

Quick Reply: Noises starting to drive me crazy...