AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/)
-   -   Paddle shifters with sport package - worth it? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/paddle-shifters-sport-package-worth-2851241/)

Phoenix1 07-26-2013 08:57 AM

Paddle shifters with sport package - worth it?

Hi all!

I'm looking at 2014 A7 and have a question about the paddle shofters included in the sports package. My experience with them is in some cars (BMW) they shift fast as heck and are a lot of fun OR shift incredibly slow and are a total waste (my wife's 2013 MB E350C4). Any input on how well these work on the A7? (Did a search, did not find anything)

I can choose to NOT order the Sports Package and change the suspension after market if needed, but I would get the Audi Sports Package **IF** the paddle shifters are truly "sport" and not just show.

Thanks!

60614allroad 07-26-2013 09:11 AM

98% of the time I drive my A7 in manual mode and I can shift much faster with the paddles than with the shift lever. Plus my hands can remain on the wheel. It's definitely worth it.

socalty 07-26-2013 04:39 PM

It definitely doesn't shift fast like most dual-clutch systems (as it's not dual-clutch). I'd say it's mostly for show, but I can't determine whether it's too slow for you. Maybe you should test drive it to know for sure.

I debated exactly the same thing and decided to get the sports package just in case I was in the mood to play with the paddles, for the look of the 3-spoke steering wheel, and for thinking that I could live with the sport suspension height (I ended up lowering it anyway).

Even though I think the shifting is slow, I'm glad I have it despite using it only 5% of the time. The shifting speed doesn't detract too much from the fun. YMMV

Hmm, maybe I'll start using it more now.

snagitseven 07-26-2013 06:30 PM

Paddles are one of my favorite A6 driving features. I use them all the time when having fun on the twisties and use it quite a bit for downshifting. The shift speed is identical to the manual console tip shifting and while it's slightly less fast to react than S-Tronic, it's faster than a true manual. I even installed paddle extensions to be able to use it with my hands in the 10-2 steering wheel position. A nice feature is once you hit a paddle and the car realizes you are not continuing to accelerate/decelerate, after a few moments, the tranny goes back to the previously selected auto mode (D or S). I love those paddles (and the rest of the Sport Package). :D

CHZHD 07-26-2013 06:59 PM

The paddle shifters were not a major factor for me. I got the 20" Sport Package for three reasons (in this order):

1) The 20" wheels
2) The three-spoke steering wheel
3) The suspension

I used the paddle shifters A LOT on the DSG-equipped Audis I've had (TT, S4) but rarely with this Tiptronic. Could probably live without it altogether apart from the occasional double-downshift for passing.

Rick Pardo 07-27-2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24469626)
Paddles are one of my favorite A6 driving features. I use them all the time when having fun on the twisties and use it quite a bit for downshifting. The shift speed is identical to the manual console tip shifting and while it's slightly less fast to react than S-Tronic, it's faster than a true manual. I even installed paddle extensions to be able to use it with my hands in the 10-2 steering wheel position. A nice feature is once you hit a paddle and the car realizes you are not continuing to accelerate/decelerate, after a few moments, the tranny goes back to the previously selected auto mode (D or S). I love those paddles (and the rest of the Sport Package). :D

SnagIt -

Agreed; where did you source the extenders?, how much?, could you self install?

amelen 07-27-2013 12:29 PM

Before buying the A7, I was considering a fully loaded BMW 335xi. The problem I ran into was that only the sports package (with an ugly red stripe) had the paddle shifters. I spent a couple of weeks trying to figure out how important the paddle shifters are and decided that it was a deal breaker for me. Some people don't use them at all, but to me, it's a very important feature.

snagitseven 07-27-2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo (Post 24469756)
SnagIt -

Got them from Ron (Primetime) who made these for himself and now will make them for those who are interested. You can send him a PM (Primetime) for pricing (Significantly less expensive than the wired $700+ replacements someone else is selling).
They are made of strong aluminum billets available in silver or anodized black and fasten with strong 3M double sided tape to the existing paddles in 5 minutes.

Here's a complete thread with pictures in both finishes from three of us who ordered them (I would suggest you focus on the positive posts; they are great for the price).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=paddle

Phoenix1 07-29-2013 03:55 AM

"I debated exactly the same thing and decided to get the sports package just in case I was in the mood to play with the paddles, for the look of the 3-spoke steering wheel, and for thinking that I could live with the sport suspension height (I ended up lowering it anyway)."

Why did you end up lowering it(looks and/or performance?), how much did you lower it, what brand springs and how was the ride affected?

What is the difference in the shock, springs and sway bars in the sport package. All the idiot dealer could tell me was "it's a little bit firmer ride". DUH!

clintb 07-29-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Pardo (Post 24469756)
SnagIt -

What are the extenders for?

In my S7 the shifters follow the steering wheel so are always at your fingertips... don't know why you'd need larger ones