A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Paint protection window tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint protection window tint

Have seen a rare post about thiese topics in other threads so want to start a dedicated thread so doesn't get lost. Getting my 2014 Prestige in July. It will get to Florida wher I live 8 mo a year so will be flying down to pick it up mid July. Dealership will tint car for me. As it'll be registered in PA as ins is way cheaper ( 1/2 price due to proximity to Miami) looks like i'll have to go 70% light transmission. As that still cuts down on UV and IR ( thus heat as well), I'm ok with that. My dilemma is what about paint protection from debris. My research thus far appears that translucent films like 3M will offer from road debris and bugs, etc which sealants won't do. Of course would not be able to use paste wax as will damage the film. I could use paste on everything other than side mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper and bra portion of hood. Any ideas or suggestions??

Thx
Old 05-27-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitodad
Have seen a rare post about thiese topics in other threads so want to start a dedicated thread so doesn't get lost. Getting my 2014 Prestige in July. It will get to Florida wher I live 8 mo a year so will be flying down to pick it up mid July. Dealership will tint car for me. As it'll be registered in PA as ins is way cheaper ( 1/2 price due to proximity to Miami) looks like i'll have to go 70% light transmission. As that still cuts down on UV and IR ( thus heat as well), I'm ok with that. My dilemma is what about paint protection from debris. My research thus far appears that translucent films like 3M will offer from road debris and bugs, etc which sealants won't do. Of course would not be able to use paste wax as will damage the film. I could use paste on everything other than side mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper and bra portion of hood. Any ideas or suggestions??

Thx
I have a clear bra on my A7 and have waxed it, along with the rest of the car, with no problem at all. There is a bit of white buildup along the seam of the material, which is easily removed with a detailing brush. As long as what you have installed is good quality material, there should be no reason you can't wax it.
Z
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest you look into a ceramic tint; I live in Delray Beach and wanted to keep heat and UV/UA light out without looking like a CIA agent on a stakeout. So far there's hardly any heat transfer and the tint is approximately the same color as OEM glass.

The cost is approximately 2x that of a regular tint.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree - Huper Optik is one tint brand which is superior for minimizing heat transfer. It IS pricey, but extremely effective. I had it on a G35 and was stunned how it kept the car cooler.
Z
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

As has been discussed in many threads, Xpel Ultimate is the best (and the most expensive) paint protection film there is. It's the only film on the market that is self healing and is engineered with its own clearcoat surface. It can be waxed like the paint as with most any other film so long as you avoid waxes with petroleum ingredients or abrasive compounds. Dirt can be removed from Ultimate easily with normal washing and stubborn bugs can be removed with a bit of isopropyl alcohol if needed. If you get a full hood/fender treatment and the installer wraps the edges, there are no visible lines to catch wax buildup.

You can Google or search You Tube for "Xpel Ultimate" to see video demos on how the stuff works (I've included a couple below). Best add-on investment I've ever made for a car. 11K miles and not one ding visible. Too bad they don't have a product for windshields.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree about the Xpel Ultimate. Had this type of film on my 2005 Volvo S60R and still looks good. Xpel Ultimate looks even better than the old generation of film

As to the rest of the car - there are a lot newer technologies than wax out there - and not the snake oil sealant stuff the dealership tries to sell you. I suggest you look into some longer lasting 2-3 year nano coating products like CQuartz or Opti-Coat.

If you do not want to go that route - there are lots of newer technology liquid silicone protectants out there that give 6 months of protection / shine

Do yourself a favor and read one of the sites where professional detailers hang out and talk about products like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

http://www.autopia.org/forum/forum.php

or if you are in Europe

http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/index.php
Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for the info. Going to discuss with sales rep as car will be sitting around for a week or so before I can pick it up and drive it back in the middle of July.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitodad
Thx for the info. Going to discuss with sales rep as car will be sitting around for a week or so before I can pick it up and drive it back in the middle of July.
Don't go through the dealer for film or tint. As a middleman, they will charge a hefty premium over what you can have done on your own.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Don't go through the dealer for film or tint. As a middleman, they will charge a hefty premium over what you can have done on your own.
Thx for heads up. They initially said they would toss in the tinting as a freebie. Was going to do the expel on my own.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 on the expl - been very happy with it on both the A7 & wife's 335i convertible.

Quick Reply: Paint protection window tint