A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Passport Qi45 Install on A7

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed but that 20% has snagged me on more than one occasion with a trooper approaching from the rear that I didnt spot.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This may be a silly question, but how did you remove the quick fasteners? Just pull up on them, or did you pry them up. Do they turn to unlock, or do they just pop out? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pull up the center locking post using a tiny screwdriver or awl. The outer post then slides right out as a unit. It works kind of like a tube and center plunger.

To put back, do it in reverse order. Slide in with the plunger up then push down the center to lock.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How often were u getting pulled over to justify spending $700 on a radar detector plus man hours for labor? I consider myself to have a pretty heavy lead foot and I still avg about one $150-200 speeding ticket a year. Just seems like waste of money anda relic of the 80's-90's.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would go with Jerry on this one. I'm a DIY guy and I would to take the challenge to install it. I hate giving the state plus the insurance company my hard earn dollars. Rather buy more toys instead.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good lord. I just put by V1 to the top left of my rear view mirror, ran the cord in the headliner, down the A pillar, into the fuse box and done. Took 20 minutes.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Originally Posted by Lordmehy
How often were u getting pulled over to justify spending $700 on a radar detector plus man hours for labor? I consider myself to have a pretty heavy lead foot and I still avg about one $150-200 speeding ticket a year. Just seems like waste of money anda relic of the 80's-90's.
My Valentine One cost me $399 in 2000. The recent "upgrade" I purchased last month (where they send you a brand-new unit) cost me $199, so plus my remote display and moving the hardwire installation between three vehicles, my cost over the past 13 years was roughly $800. Thanks to my V1, I've not received a ticket, nor even been pulled over (for any reason), in 13 years. Completely worth the $62 a year to me!

Randy
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
My Valentine One cost me $399 in 2000. The recent "upgrade" I purchased last month (where they send you a brand-new unit) cost me $199, so plus my remote display and moving the hardwire installation between three vehicles, my cost over the past 13 years was roughly $800. Thanks to my V1, I've not received a ticket, nor even been pulled over (for any reason), in 13 years. Completely worth the $62 a year to me!

Randy
Randy - what do you believe the upgraded unit does for you? I'm curious if I should consider upgrading my V1. I am surprised at how infrequently my unit warns me; however, all warnings have been real threats so far, which is good. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Originally Posted by gs4rx3
Randy - what do you believe the upgraded unit does for you? I'm curious if I should consider upgrading my V1. I am surprised at how infrequently my unit warns me; however, all warnings have been real threats so far, which is good. Thanks!
For me, I noticed an overall reduction in false alerts, but my main goal was adding all the programmability in the newer units. I disabled POP alerts and disabled rear Ka band, as the Audi blind-spot monitoring system uses Ka radar and will set the V1 (as well as most detectors) off with the rear antenna.

You can enter the serial number of your V1 here, and it will tell you what changes have been made since you purchased your unit. This year, we "upgraded" my unit, and I helped my parents with updating their two V1s as well, and each had a turn-around time within five days - I was impressed.

https://store.valentine1.com/upgrades/

Randy
Old 06-09-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Not to be a buzz kill here, but laser jammers are illegal in 12 states (currently legal in PA) and radar detectors are illegal in VA, Washington DC and all but three provinces in Canada. Since permanent installed components like this are obviously, not easily removable, be sure you know the laws of the states in which you'll be traveling before undertaking this type of install and investment, especially if considering laser jammers. Police often use detectors to sniff them out.

Radar detector and laser jammer laws by locale:

http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...awsarticle.cfm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passport Qi45 Install on A7