A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Purchasing a Manufacture Buy Back

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a Manufacture Buy Back

I found an 2015 used A7 from a foreign motor dealer. The car was a "manufacturer buy back" in NJ. Basically, a nice word for lemon law. I would be the 3rd owner. The first owner had it bought back from due to an MMI issue (I have the report and info on the buy back confirming that the lemon issue was the MMI). The second owner owned it for a year and then went back to school (international student).

Its a 2015 A7 Prestige for $50k with 20k miles. Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Um, honestly I would run away from this car. I am tired of trying to save a little cash here and there and end up with a car with so many issues that drives me nuts. Go and find a better quality and better VIN Audi A7 with out any issues or buyback. I guarantee you will be happier and most people would agree with me on this board. My Audis have never had any issues with the MMI but I do not want to take the risk or put up with an Audi that is not CPO or even certified.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. You definitely do not want to own an Audi that is a 'manufacturer buy-back'. Stay away from it unless you are a masochist. A CPO Audi may cost a bit more coin but it is worth the extra money.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in between these thoughts. I've read many a post from an upset customer and they can be questioned. I would suggest getting extra warranty on the lemon problem. And, I'm assuming you are saving cash. If the car is not a bargain I'd move on regardless.The MMI stuff is superfluous to what cars are supposed to be about, to me. You just don't need a car to be completely connected. Just my wrong thinking.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The manufacturer/importer does not buy a car back unless there are very serious issues with it that they simply can not fix. Turn around and run as fast as you can!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, someone will buy it. Could be the worst mistake of their life. Could be the best deal they ever got. Consensus it to run away. I want the best deal possible with warranty. I wouldn't buy it though myself.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

RUN, very fast. It doesn't appear to be much of a deal at $50K. I bet if you look around there are a number of CPO cars that will be a much better value for your money.

There was a reason Audi bought the car back. They could not fix it! That alone is a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found a screaming deal on an S3 recently...until I found out it was a buyback. I personally would never buy a buyback or salvage title vehicle even if it was a super low price. Whatever savings you would get on the front end, you will almost certainly pay (and then some) on the back end. You will also have an extremely hard time selling it later on down the road or even trading it in to a dealer. Literally no one wants a salvage title or buyback vehicle.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

These days this about trying to determine if the problem is with the wiring. The wiring is tough to fix. But I'm still willing to take a great discount with a guarantee. Call me frivolous.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an opportunity to purchase an Audi at an extremely discounted price because its a buyback. It's not an Audi dealership that has it. It was bought from auction in CA. 2 owners only 8k miles.
My question is how do you find out the reason for the buyback? The dealer that has it does not know. Can you call an Audi dealer and ask them? How can I research this further? I might be willing to take the gamble

Thans

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Manufacture Buy Back