A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Questions from potential new owner

Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from potential new owner

1 month ago my 2008 A8L was in an accident (someone ran a stop sign). Last week they finally decided it was totaled, so it is time for a new car. I've been all over the map with options in the last week (CLS, A7, new A8, various Porsches, even the new Land Rover Sport), but have essentially decided I want the A7 (almost bought one in 11, but the lack of 3 person seating killed me).

Given I don't have a car, I don't have the luxury of ordering and waiting (well I do have the luxury, I just don't want to pay for 3 months of rental cars!) So a few questions for those recent purchasers

1. Aside from value, what differences are there between a 2013 and 2014 (my local dealer has a 2013 demo)?

2. How should I think about negotiating room off of MSRP for a Prestige? I've not gotten down to discussions yet, but have no idea where I should anchor on these cars, and given the low volume of sales, most of the usual sites (TrueCar, etc.) don't seem to have great data

3. I live in a cold climate, so am reluctant to go with the sport package and be forced to get winter tires. Aside from the cooler look, what I am giving up by not going with the sport package (one of my local options has the 20" sport package, which does look particularly sharp)

4. Should I try the diesel before making the purchase (I would never had considered if not for some of the other posts I've read on here recently)

Thanks in advance from a new poster (well a new poster to the A7 forum)
Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

For 2014 pricing, keep in mind that Audi Club of North America members can get 6% off MSRP as can Audi supplier employees. By negotiating yourself for a car on the lot you should be able to hit a discount in that range. It may take a couple of dealers/quotes to achieve that but it is attainable. TrueCar and Costco pricing will also take you into a very good pricing range in many markets. The best TrueCar pricing I found was 6.11% off MSRP but most were in the 4% range.

I saw a nice 2013 leftover and the salesman wouldn't go lower than $1,000 under invoice which I thought was ridiculous. Audi has money incentives for dealers to move out the 2013s. Once you drive it off the lot it is already about $2,000 depreciated from a comparable 2014.

The 2013s and 2014s are near identical. Small difference is packages which you can find easily online. For example, the rear seat for five is now standard and no longer an option. The side assist is now part of Prestige.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe depreciation on a one year old $65K car would be more than $2K. More like $4K at the least, assuming it's brand new. I don't think Audi provides much in the way of dealer incentives for LY models.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Have you considered a used A7? The depreciation is the greatest during the first few years. Dealers are not paying much when traded and there are bargains with the private sellers.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RookieWill

2. How should I think about negotiating room off of MSRP for a Prestige? I've not gotten down to discussions yet, but have no idea where I should anchor on these cars, and given the low volume of sales, most of the usual sites (TrueCar, etc.) don't seem to have great data)
As previously mentioned, the ACNA and Audi supplier discounts are both 6% MSRP - of this amount, dealer eats 4% and 2% is reimbursed by Audi, so shooting for at least 4% is reasonable (assuming you don't qualify for the Supplier discount or want to go the ACNA route).

3. I live in a cold climate, so am reluctant to go with the sport package and be forced to get winter tires. Aside from the cooler look, what I am giving up by not going with the sport package (one of my local options has the 20" sport package, which does look particularly sharp))
A6 offers a 19" and 20" option of which the 19" comes with A/S tires...I'd think the A7 would offer similar A/S option w/ 19" sport?

Either 19 or 20" sport pkg comes with lower suspension,different rims, nicer looking (IMHO) 3-spoke steering wheel and paddle shifters.
4. Should I try the diesel before making the purchase (I would never had considered if not for some of the other posts I've read on here recently)
Defintely...I had a 3.0T in my prior A6 and went to the TDI - love the torque, MPG (over 1,200 miles, I'm averaging slightly over 30 mpg and easily see 35+ on longer highway runs), and only filling up 2x/month. Feels just as quick as the 3.0T and cruises effortlessly with tons of torque always @ the ready.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Have you considered a used A7? The depreciation is the greatest during the first few years. Dealers are not paying much when traded and there are bargains with the private sellers.
I am generally a used car guy (bought my CPO A8L with 35000 miles, put 35K on it in 3 years, and would be keeping it for another 35K if not for bad drivers), however the inventory of used A7s in boston metro is small AND most of the used ones I have seen only have the two seat option in the rear (I have three kids and while this is not the primary car for the kids, I at least need that functionality once in a blue moon - and without that, I probably would more seriously look at some other options)

I have a friend of a friend who will buy me an A7 in the used auction market, for a straight fee. Prices were in the low 50's for low mileage 2012s. While better than new, I didn't feel like it was a *great* deal. (Of course that was without shopping at all)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

You have to be a member of the Audi club program for 6 months before you get the discount
Old 09-29-2013, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update - First dealer offered me 5% off MSRP through "internet" pricing (although the model I quoted out wasn't available, they had another one - which I actually liked better). Then went to the next dealer and they got to a bit more than 6% with the "Audi Loyalty Rebate" program. I never went back to first dealer, though, as the second dealer had a 2013 Demo with everything I wanted and saved a bunch of money relative to the 2014s. (Incidentally, I needed to show my registration for my old car to get the audi loyalty rebate)

Put deposit down last night, delivery on Monday evening. 2013 Prestige, Daytona Gray, Black Interior, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, with 20" wheels (I guess I'll have to get the snow tires).

I am not an extended warranty guy, but am strongly considering the tire warranty given the low profile, 20" sports rims. They're asking $1150, though. Have till Monday at 6pm to decide.

All - I am very excited thanks for the advice (and I will be joining Audi Car Club of America for when my wife forces me to buy her a Q7!)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

When you get the A7, I would be interested to hear your opinions on A7 v. A8L. I'm on my second A8 and am thinking about an A7 next time (garnet red is calling me). I'm worried about the size difference since I'm tall and I have folks in the back seat on occasion.

So any insight in that regard would be appreciated.

Larry
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lgball
When you get the A7, I would be interested to hear your opinions on A7 v. A8L. I'm on my second A8 and am thinking about an A7 next time (garnet red is calling me). I'm worried about the size difference since I'm tall and I have folks in the back seat on occasion.

So any insight in that regard would be appreciated.

Larry
Larry -

Have had car for a few weeks. Here are some quick A7 vs. 08 A8L thoughts

Pro's (for A7)
* Car feels / is materially quicker, despite the smaller engine. Very impressed with the responsiveness, feel, and drive.
* Car looks incredible (and frankly I think garnet red would be even better looking!)
* Updated technology from the 08 is world's different (of course, I'd get the same in the new a8, too

Con's (for A7)
* Back seat room is considerably smaller. This was a big issue for my wife, but I told her 1) it is still good enough and 2) how often are we driving with another couple in the backseat (my wife would always choose the back seat when driving with another couple). I think the real challenge is driving with 5 adults - that middle seat is tough (but again, that happens once a year). Roominess in the front seat is not an issueu for me (5'10") at all - it might be for someone who is 6'5", though.

For me, I loved the old styling of the A8L, felt it really differentiated itself from the 7 series or S class, in a positive way. I think the new A8 is less sporty, less fun looking, and more like the 7 or S. I think had I liked the new A8 body more, I probably would have more strongly considered that and it would have been a more difficult decision vs. the A7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions from potential new owner