A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Replacement Tires for 2012 A7

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Why would you want a diesel over a petrol car? Is the mileage that bad that you'd rather go with a diesel version? But going back to your question get the Michelins.
Who wouldn't want the diesel? Better torque, better mpg.... Unless you have an S or RS then it is all about performance.

Check out continental they make a decent all season (dws) with amazing snow and wet performance.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petrol4blood
Who wouldn't want the diesel? Better torque, better mpg.... Unless you have an S or RS then it is all about performance.

Check out continental they make a decent all season (dws) with amazing snow and wet performance.
Better torque on paper because every time I see a comparison between diesel and gas powered cars, the gas always wins, even in acceleration. Look at the numbers between the diesel and gas engines in the A7,the gas is faster than the diesel that has WAY more torque (428 vs 325), the only one that is comparable is the bi turbo and that one needed 479ft-lbs to match the gas acceleration.
You are not buying an A7 to haul anything so the more torque number looks redundant to me if the acceleration is not compensating the lack of HP.
Clarkson wrote this 20 years ago, ok ok the cars and Diesel engines have evolved but I still don't buy the Diesel engines, I am not saying Clarkson is a car authority it is just funny the way he explains it.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...diesel-11-1993

But not so many years ago they compared two 5 series and the gas prevailed.

For me having a car is enjoying the limits of it, I couldn't care less for mileage, if that was the case I will get a Tesla or a hybrid or something boring.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am in the market in search of 1 tire replacement from local stores and found the following options:
1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
2) Conti Extreme Contact (DWS06)
3) Goodyear Eagle LS2 (Original Tire from factory)
4) Sumi Tour Plus LSW
5) Conti SureContact RX

From the above reviews, it looks like the Michelin is the best replacement based on price and performance. No one mentioned the Sumi or the Conti SureContact, is there any reason?

Secondly, do I really need all 4 replaced, why not just 2?

THANK YOU for reminding me about Tire Rack, I will compare to seeing the prices at the local stores (NTB, Merchants, VA Tire & Auto).
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

You really need to be sure that all 4 tires on the car are the same type and brand. Mixing brands will give you some unpredictable handling and mixing types (all-season, summer, etc) will make it even worse.

If you are looking for a good all around tire the PS A/S3+ is very highly rated. A set of 4 is near $820 from Tire Rack....
Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 19hole
You really need to be sure that all 4 tires on the car are the same type and brand. Mixing brands will give you some unpredictable handling and mixing types (all-season, summer, etc) will make it even worse.

If you are looking for a good all around tire the PS A/S3+ is very highly rated. A set of 4 is near $820 from Tire Rack....
Good feedback. I will make the purchase for all 4 since I am taking off the GY Eagle LS2 tire. I don't want to mess up my Drivetrain in the long run. Thank you.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the AS3 size 275/35R20 on my A7. Very smooth tires but not great in snow but rest assured I have separate 19 inch rims with blizzaks for winter.

I am planning to get the newer version AS3 plus as a replacement. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 49,000 miles on the original Conti tires from the factory I was forced to replace them as the rubber was starting to separate. At the dealership they gave me a deal on a set of Pirelli tires. I later found out that the Pirelli P7 Cinturato all season tires were designed specially for the A7. So far I'm very happy with them. I would recommend these tires. Also the manual says if one tire is bad you must replace minimum two tires as mixing new and old or different brands may damage the quattro drive. So I would replace at least two tires as a precaution.

Audi A7 To Use Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season as Original Equipment - Fourtitude.com
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a 2012 A7 CPO a year ago that had fairly new (about 8/32 left) Conti Pro Contact 255 R40/19 100HL,XL MS, "AO" 500 AA A. Drove on them for several weeks. Very noisy (just like the Pirelli P Zero I have had on other cars) and not wearing very good. I researched and decided to do the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus same size 100 V, XL MS non AO 700A A. Have had these on for 9K and they sound better handle better and better ride. As noted these are 19. Dont' know if they do 20". If so I would go with them. I did have an A6 with 20" (with P Zero) before that and replaced with Hankook Ventus S1 noble255/35ZR20 All Season UHP 97 W XL. Did cross country on them twice. Also better than the P Zero. Quieter and good handling. Whew! TMI
Old 07-18-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just picked up a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ based largely on the positive recommendations given here. Loving them so far! Good ride quality and handling, reasonable road noise levels, etc.

Thanks for the great advice!
Old 10-25-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tcoble33
Just picked up a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ based largely on the positive recommendations given here. Loving them so far! Good ride quality and handling, reasonable road noise levels, etc.

Thanks for the great advice!
It is getting close to time to replace my tires on the 2012 Audi A7. I currently have Pirelli P7 on the car. Generally like the ride and quietness of the tires, however truly believe who ever put 70,000 mile tread life on the tire was smoking some very high grade stuff that may not be legal even in Colorado as I am pretty sure they will run out of tread at about 50 K miles. Would I be just as well off to get the Michelin Pilot Sports AS what ever the current number is and get about the same miles per tier?
Have any of you run both on their A7 and give an objective appraisal of P7 vs Michelin