A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

RS7 chrome vs black grille

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do prefer the black but I'm fairly boring preferring a stealth look. Beautiful car!

Besides TAG (very expensive) who does black rings and emblems with genuine Audi parts? Prefer painted over vinyl.

BTW this is my first post so new here and to Audi. It's been a 5 year wait so looking forward to my 2017 7 in the next few weeks. I'm sure I will be spending more time drooling over your cars and learning form you.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008A6
Here's mine as another example...
Your car looks great. I had convinced myself to not switch out the grille, but now you've got me thinking of doing the black grille/surround on my phantom black...
Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Audi Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's mine as another example...
Is this your car or sale? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2013-2...​​
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SpectreGadget
No, that's a shop selling the grilles, and just using my car in his ads.. I recall he had asked my permission a while back, though looks like they changed names (used to be Dubstop in MA).
​​​​​​​Good catch!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, that's a shop selling the grilles, and just using my car in his ads.. I recall he had asked my permission a while back, though looks like they changed names (used to be Dubstop in MA).
​​​​​​​Good catch!
Did you use the grills he's selling? lol.

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shorttough
Hi all,
I have a grey A7, i'm trying to get a mesh grille like the RS7, whats your opinion on the chrome vs the black grille sold on Ebay as far as the look goes?

thanks in advance.

Silver/Chrome _http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-15-Audi-A7-C7-RS-Styl-Sport-Type-Chrome-Silver-Honey-Mesh-Bumper-Grille-Grill-/141394490372

black _http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-15-A7-C7-RS7-RS-Style-Chrome-Black-Mesh-Bumper-Grille-w-License-Plate-Holder-/231323452222
I have a rs7 grille with chrome trim at body shop getting painted gun metal and leaving the chrome trim. It' going on my black A7 to matching my gun metal rims. I'l post pics once it's all done.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ydlee
I have a rs7 grille with chrome trim at body shop getting painted gun metal and leaving the chrome trim. It' going on my black A7 to matching my gun metal rims. I'l post pics once it's all done.
Can't wait to see it! Do you mind sharing about how much it's all going to run you? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HeadofthePac4
Can't wait to see it! Do you mind sharing about how much it's all going to run you? Thanks.
The grille I purchased on EBay it is originally gloss black.
They do have rs7 grilles that come in silver color which I almost purchased but since I have gun metal rims I had to have it match, lol.
Before I took it to body shop I carefully removed the chrome trim with a butter knife.
SInce the grille has alot of honeycomb vents the body shop quoted me around $300 due to the labor of sanding and prepping. They still have to sand prep the gloss black paint that it came in. I should of sanded it myself to save labor cost but I'm sure the body shop has better equipment than me.

Last edited by ydlee; 01-20-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ydlee
The grille I purchased on EBay it is originally gloss black.
They do have rs7 grilles that come in silver color which I almost purchased but since I have gun metal rims I had to have it match, lol.
Before I took it to body shop I carefully removed the chrome trim with a butter knife.
SInce the grille has alot of honeycomb vents the body shop quoted me around $300 due to the labor of sanding and prepping. They still have to sand prep the gloss black paint that it came in. I should of sanded it myself to save labor cost but I'm sure the body shop has better equipment than me.
Yikes.. Did you consider trying plastidip before going the painting route? I've plastidipped my previous A6 grille and turned out great.. though sounds like you're selecting a very specific color..
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yikes.. Did you consider trying plastidip before going the painting route? I've plastidipped my previous A6 grille and turned out great.. though sounds like you're selecting a very specific color..

Out the body shop gunmetal grey, now just got to install it and then I will post up more pics. They told me it took half a day prep sand it. I'm happy with results.
just realized it seems that you need to remove the chrome trim in order to install the grille to the bumper because of the holes for the screws to mount.

Last edited by ydlee; 01-25-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: RS7 chrome vs black grille