A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Second/First Downshift Jerk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second/First Downshift Jerk?

So, after finally getting my last interior rattle solved on the car this morning, the car started doing a jerk downshifting from second to firsrt at approximately 2-3 mph when coming to a complete stop. I swung by the dealer on my way home from errands since they all know me on a first name basis after all the rattling issues and it being my 4th Audi purchased there, and the service manager and I went for a ride ( I initially thought it could potentially be the brake grabbing as per the other thread), and sure enough when the car was left in first gear it never had an issue, but if you were light on the brakes coming to a smooth stop then as the car downshifted right before you were about to come to a complete stop it would jerk, sometimes more promenately then others, but it's definitely there. Under moderate to heavy braking since with the de-acceleration it was hardly noticeable. He was going to take another one for a spin and let me know, but I was wondering if any other forum members have had this experience.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikawaffle
So, after finally getting my last interior rattle solved on the car this morning, the car started doing a jerk downshifting from second to firsrt at approximately 2-3 mph when coming to a complete stop. I swung by the dealer on my way home from errands since they all know me on a first name basis after all the rattling issues and it being my 4th Audi purchased there, and the service manager and I went for a ride ( I initially thought it could potentially be the brake grabbing as per the other thread), and sure enough when the car was left in first gear it never had an issue, but if you were light on the brakes coming to a smooth stop then as the car downshifted right before you were about to come to a complete stop it would jerk, sometimes more promenately then others, but it's definitely there. Under moderate to heavy braking since with the de-acceleration it was hardly noticeable. He was going to take another one for a spin and let me know, but I was wondering if any other forum members have had this experience.

I assume your transmission is set at normal D, not the sport mode right?

When I am at the sports mode (transmission) the downshifting could get a little abrupt, even sometimes upshifting. I will pay a little more attention tomorrow to see if I can notice any jerking at 2-3 mph while stopping.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine does the same thing. First time it did it I thought I was running out of gas.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LHDixon
Mine does the same thing. First time it did it I thought I was running out of gas.
noticeable, only complaint about car. most often going from 15 to about 10 mph, just a little bump/feedback as car shifts.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, car is in "comfort or auto" model in the Audi Drive Select, however in both D and S and manual it will have the jerk from 0-3 and it is much more noticeable then the slight hard shift from say 3-2 when you are in dynamic mode. The irony of this all, is I put the car in dynamic mode last night and it does not have the jerk from 2-1 between 0-3 mph. So it appears there is something wrong with the ECU telling the car to downshift too soon in comfort mode rather then something being wrong in the transmission itself.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have mine in comfort mode and do not experience a downshift jerk.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just wanted to weigh in on this -- I noticed it today as well. Seems to happen in my car at right around 20 MPH while decelerating gradually.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, that jerk at between 20 and 15 mph when decelerating would be my only gripe about a transmission that is otherwise the sweetest I have ever driven.

I normally leave my A7 in "Dynamic" and mostly have the shifter in "sport" but as an experiment I engaged "comfort mode" and then tried both gradual and rapid decelerations over a few drives - no noticeable jerk in either case.

Having said that, I promptly put my car back in Dynamic. I like the sports car feel!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jerry_Maguire
Having said that, I promptly put my car back in Dynamic. I like the sports car feel!
I *totally* agree, but does anyone have an idea about the actual impact of this mode on fuel economy? Aside from the fact that it makes you want to drive with a lead foot, of course...
Old 10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been noticing the jerk more from the sport mode, not regular D mode. I don't mind though, however. I mean, what can you do, lol.

Quick Reply: Second/First Downshift Jerk?