A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Second/First Downshift Jerk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry_Maguire
Yes, that jerk at between 20 and 15 mph when decelerating would be my only gripe about a transmission that is otherwise the sweetest I have ever driven.

I normally leave my A7 in "Dynamic" and mostly have the shifter in "sport" but as an experiment I engaged "comfort mode" and then tried both gradual and rapid decelerations over a few drives - no noticeable jerk in either case.

Having said that, I promptly put my car back in Dynamic. I like the sports car feel!

That may be it. The jerk will be more noticeable in dynamic than Auto or Comfort of the Drive Select, even though you can still select the transmission to S under other modes.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evidently, this issue seems to be bigger then I thought. The car has now been in the shop since Thursday AM, and the regional Audi rep came out and took a look at it and even he has never seen anything like this with the A7 so it's now being escalated to someone on the east coast to come up with a resolution. Oh well, at least on the bright side the latest rental car is a 2012Mercedes C250 that came with 18 miles on the clock and nicely loaded with NAV and other goodies.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am currently having repairs made on my 08' S6, the issue is exactly the same, plus mine will hesitate to engage gear if I want to start driving right at or after the jerk. I had more issues with it under hard driving sport mode, it revs and the gear kicks in just as I had the gear in Neutral rev and snapped into a "D", the car will try to go forward with my rev force but the tranny stops it from doing that. I experienced it about 10 or more times, I actually looked back to see if someone hit me from behind.

After multiple visits to a Dealership, TCM reprograms and such, my car is acting even worse, they are changing a part called Transmission Valve Cover, I will post again to see if that fixed the problem, they said only thing left to do after the change is, replacing the Tranny.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jason Won
I am currently having repairs made on my 08' S6, the issue is exactly the same, plus mine will hesitate to engage gear if I want to start driving right at or after the jerk. I had more issues with it under hard driving sport mode, it revs and the gear kicks in just as I had the gear in Neutral rev and snapped into a "D", the car will try to go forward with my rev force but the tranny stops it from doing that. I experienced it about 10 or more times, I actually looked back to see if someone hit me from behind.

After multiple visits to a Dealership, TCM reprograms and such, my car is acting even worse, they are changing a part called Transmission Valve Cover, I will post again to see if that fixed the problem, they said only thing left to do after the change is, replacing the Tranny.

did you get this resolved?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAD MINE FIXED

So let me chime in on this one.

I noticed this one almost immediately on my A7 and it really annoyed. Having had and still had, and still own other Audi prior to A7 I knew this wasn't correct. I went round and round with the dealer a few times and eventually got Audi NA involved.

We got to the point that Germany wrote a new firmware for the transmission. But the dealer couldn't load it after several days with Audi NA and Audi Germany.

They had to replace the Magtronic(?) but there wasn't one anywhere in the country and had to get one from Germany.

Before it even got here Audi Germany rewrote another even newer firmware for the transmission.

Dealer got the new Magtronic. Dropped it in. Installed latest custom firmware. Car has been perfect since.

I don't know if this firmware is a one off for something weird with my car or if it made it in to the latest full S/W release that in on current production cars that has not been made available to older car yet, or what.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had this issue for about 2 months, dropping from 3rd to 2nd in comfort mode. I read somewhere else to reset the car's memory that adjusts to your driving. I remember reading on how to do that somewhere on the internet, but I cant remember what it was, as I tried several things.

Long story short, I didnt notice a difference right away, but about two days later the rough downshift went away completely and has not come back since (Couple months). I am honestly not sure if it was just coincidence that it stopped or if I actually did anything.

Johnnyb
Old 09-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dropped mine off at audi last week for a variety of issues that I had been logging over the past few months. I pointed them to this thread, since this was one of my first complaints about the car when I first took delivery.

It's not something that is reproducible on demand, so giving them the car and telling them something happens that they can't reproduce... it's frustrating for them, but more so for the guy that gets the answer 'we can't fix that,' each time I report it as a problem. This thread helped them point to the 'comfort mode' as the resolution since dynamic can be a bit rougher. That CANT be the solution, and I know it still does it in comfort, but who the hell drives it in comfort?

There has to be a centralized audi db where these issues are collected. Even if its only 10-15 people that have reported it, and someone has documented a fix, I can't imagine that audi does not have the ability to check to see if others have experienced the issue.

So, after a week at the shop (nearly) I'll be going to pick up my car with, jerky transmissions (occasionally from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to first), a software update that removes my HD Radio (as a solution to the poor quality) but fixes other issues that needed fixing, as well as a new front plate insert that was pealing, and another un-diagnosed issue: car taking a while to turn over, or doesn't start on first try.

oh well. might be back to lexus for my wife's next car--the guys are audi are nice, but seems like the corporate audi overlords are a bit too stingy with allowing fixes or something.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayhawk785
This thread helped them point to the 'comfort mode' as the resolution since dynamic can be a bit rougher. That CANT be the solution, and I know it still does it in comfort, but who the hell drives it in comfort?
It's interesting. I was watching Motorweek last night and they were doing the new Audi A8L TDI and they were talking about the Drive Select in Comfort mode, as Dynamic mode just seemed to add some fake weight to the steering process without helping progress. Not that Motorweek is an authority by any means.

I like being in Dynamic myself, or even Individual. But do find myself in Comfort actually quite often and I know a lot of people I drive with regardless of their driving style prefer to in Comfort. I will say it makes it hard for people to tell what speed we might be at when we're in Comfort.

Last edited by jeremymc7; 09-11-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll give comfort a shot, just to see if the 'problem' is eliminated. Acceleration and turning to me feels tighter in dynamic though? Maybe its all in my head.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
It's interesting. I was watching Motorweek last night and they were doing the new Audi A8L TDI and they were talking about the Drive Select in Comfort mode, as Dynamic mode just seemed to add some fake weight to the steering process without helping progress. Not that Motorweek is an authority by any means.

I like being in Dynamic myself, or even Individual. But do find myself in Comfort actually quite often and I know a lot of people I drive with regardless of their driving style prefer to in Comfort. I will say it makes it hard for people to tell what speed we might be at when we're in Comfort.
he was referring to the transmission not the steering

Quick Reply: Second/First Downshift Jerk?