A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Subtle Changes to the A7

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Subtle Changes to the A7

Hi,

wanted to share this, doing a search first did yield a few threads the same but seems to be unfinished so I didn't reply there and chose to start a new thread - probably a dead horse thing but here goes:

I ordered Ross Tech second hand but after a few failed attempts from buyer frustrated me, it is what it is. Researched alternatives and found a few we all know but I chose to try CARISTA. Main reason is it mentions the ELM327 device and I remembered I had one! I paid for the 1-Week PRO package at $9.99 and unlocked many good things! those things are:
1. Enabled Euro Parking... probably never use, ever.
2. Rolling Windows UP/DN with the key fob
3. Lowering tailgate with the key fob and the door switch
4. Enabled track mode time keep
5. Engine MGMT (not sure how it works) in the car settings, currently changed it to DYNAMIC, Transmission too.
6. When going from DRL to Headlights, the DRL dims, I changed that to remain on full brightness
7. Disabled the switch back function on turn signals, now when engaged, the DRL remains on while the signal blinks
8. Disabled the GPS entry warning
9. Disabled Passenger Seat Belt warning chime (I travel a lot and keep a cooler on the seat, I used to seat strap my cooler in haha).

I'm missing more options that I did, but very happy with the key fob windows and lowering my tail gate by fob/door are my top two.

So, in a nut shell, 10 bucks and a ELM327 device I already had made this car even more catered to comfort.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is all very cool. I don't have the technical knack to try something like that. Is your A7 a TDI? Was wondering what the "dynamic mode" did to your engine and transmission.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Orange,

not TDI and I have no clue yet; did the changes and didn't take it out. I will tomorrow to see if I think they're changes, or mind tricks.

really not technical at all, nothing like VCDS, literally its a menu and you select yes/no or on/off; I'll do some screen shots tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The screen shots would be nice.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You might be able to blue tooth to an android device and use this app for engine monitoring.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

I was checking out a facebook post about this scanner. Your ELM327 device may be similar.
https://scanneranswers.com/bafx-products-34t5-review/
Old 03-23-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by orangeokie
The screen shots would be nice.
I'll get to it shortly, on a conference call then I'll get to play with the car.

Originally Posted by tenspeed
You might be able to blue tooth to an android device and use this app for engine monitoring.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

I was checking out a facebook post about this scanner. Your ELM327 device may be similar.
https://scanneranswers.com/bafx-products-34t5-review/
I didn't play with Torque, I have the Pro version, but I did use Torque Pro to make sure the phone would talk to the ELM327 (BT version I have) and once I saw the REV match works I just closed the app and started Carista. I'll play with Torque more later.

I don't know that device, but I do know that it is NOT recommend to use the latest and greatest (think its 2.1 ver) because most of those are actually lying, so best to find a 1.4 version or something to that effect.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this probably the cheapest way to do this without having to buy the full blown program that requires a laptop and cable that is mated to your car? OP, you are talking about this version (V1.5) of the ELM is recommended?

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davepjr71
Is this probably the cheapest way to do this without having to buy the full blown program that requires a laptop and cable that is mated to your car? OP, you are talking about this version (V1.5) of the ELM is recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/Firmware-Blue.../dp/B01J9H4UQY
dave,

Not to confuse 'full blown program' with VCDS or the like; I already had the Bluetooth module, in your Amazon link above, and I downloaded the Carista App (free) and paid for 1 week pro service (9.99) = that allowed me to do all the things in my first post. I did a few more things but those are the main things.

So in short, I did all i originally mentioned for $10, if you want to do similar to what I did and you need to buy the device, then it should yield you less than $25 (based on your link). 1 year of pro service is $40, for what its worth, again i did the 1 week for $10 then I did all the Audi stuff and I did stuff to my 2016 Lexus RCF and I did stuff to my 2016 Toyota Tundra. So well worth it IMO.

This app does not blanket available options, it indeed reads your car first (takes a few minutes so be patient) before ever even giving you options, so like I said when I went from car to car, all the options were different and car specific (and did not have to buy the 1 week pro per car)... so I did all 3 cars for $10 bucks.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tuscani66
dave,

Not to confuse 'full blown program' with VCDS or the like; I already had the Bluetooth module, in your Amazon link above, and I downloaded the Carista App (free) and paid for 1 week pro service (9.99) = that allowed me to do all the things in my first post. I did a few more things but those are the main things.

So in short, I did all i originally mentioned for $10, if you want to do similar to what I did and you need to buy the device, then it should yield you less than $25 (based on your link). 1 year of pro service is $40, for what its worth, again i did the 1 week for $10 then I did all the Audi stuff and I did stuff to my 2016 Lexus RCF and I did stuff to my 2016 Toyota Tundra. So well worth it IMO.

This app does not blanket available options, it indeed reads your car first (takes a few minutes so be patient) before ever even giving you options, so like I said when I went from car to car, all the options were different and car specific (and did not have to buy the 1 week pro per car)... so I did all 3 cars for $10 bucks.
Seems like if I wanted what VAG-COM ($67 or so for cable and software) or VCDS does It could get TOAD with diagnostics and ECU mapping for ($97) and use the OBDII woth this.softare for the options mods. And, this seem easier to use. Thanks
Not sure how legit these guys are.
TOAD http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/
VAG-COM https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...-rosstech-vcds

Last edited by davepjr71; 03-28-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davepjr71
Seems like if I wanted what VAG-COM ($67 or so for cable and software) or VCDS does It could get TOAD with diagnostics and ECU mapping for ($97) and use the OBDII woth this.softare for the options mods. And, this seem easier to use. Thanks
Not sure how legit these guys are.
TOAD TOAD PRO: OBD Scanner Software for ELM327 on OBDII OBD2 Cars
VAG-COM https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...-rosstech-vcds
Dave,

if i had to pick between the two links you mentioned, it would be : https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...-rosstech-vcds

However, I'm happy with I was able to achieve with Carista and my already owned BT ELM327 module. Curious what route you choose, especially if you go the totalcardiagnostics route.

GL.

Quick Reply: Subtle Changes to the A7