A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Traded my A7 for a 2017 BMW 540

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidLA7
Congratulations. I recently came over from BMW to an A7. The BMW technology is definitely a couple notches above Audi. From the camera resolution to the navigation systems, BMW really is superior.
It is a bit of an unfair comparison as BMW 5 series at beginning of life cycle and A7 at end (not even bringing virtual cockpit to this line). If I really needed new car now I think this a valid point to consider but fast forward 10 months or so when the new A7 model comes out and I dont think the above will be true.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by peter1
It is a bit of an unfair comparison as BMW 5 series at beginning of life cycle and A7 at end (not even bringing virtual cockpit to this line). If I really needed new car now I think this a valid point to consider but fast forward 10 months or so when the new A7 model comes out and I dont think the above will be true.
I had a 2016 4 series actually that was mid-cycle. The technology, drivers assistance, heads up display, cameras etc were far superior in a car costing $25k less. Audi could have upgraded the technology during the 2016 A7 refresh. Oh I love the A7, don't get me wrong. Just had high expectations I suppose.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone use the Nav - I just use my phone? I got a 2012 A7 Prestige, and turned almost all of the tech off. It seems like all the new tech coming out is gimmicky, glitchy, and constantly beeping, more of an excuse for OEMs to raise prices vs. value-add.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by austin2012a7
Does anyone use the Nav - I just use my phone? I got a 2012 A7 Prestige, and turned almost all of the tech off. It seems like all the new tech coming out is gimmicky, glitchy, and constantly beeping, more of an excuse for OEMs to raise prices vs. value-add.
I much prefer the cars nav as it's much easier to see when and where to turn. I agree that a lot of tech is gimmicky. Not that I wanted it, but my BMW has Apple CarPlay and gesture control. I have zero interest in using either. But I am pissed off that I don't have the optional M Sport brake upgrade with Blue callers
Old 08-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I much prefer the cars nav as it's much easier to see when and where to turn. I agree that a lot of tech is gimmicky. Not that I wanted it, but my BMW has Apple CarPlay and gesture control. I have zero interest in using either. But I am pissed off that I don't have the optional M Sport brake upgrade with Blue callers
(I think?) the bmw has wireless carplay - I think i would use for phone stuff more often if i had that - it's just one step but I have gotten lazy about physically connecting the phone. android auto is better for nav stuff though as it has both google maps and waze. I have a beater car and truth be told if I am in need of Navigation chances are I'm taking the beater ! I'm in an interesting spot to comment as the last car I had is >10 years old (I am a buy and holder) so must of what i consider "tech" is old hat to most of you. I use the blind spot, rear camera, parking aids, homelink, memory seat. I really like being able to have full music collection on board and the MMI does a good enough job navigating a pretty full directory. Hands free phone is nice and intuitive. The presense stuff seems to make sense and I like the rear cross traffic alerts

I don't have interest in the HUD but I know that some swear by it (especially those who drive fast). Don't like any of the autonomous stuff either on car or coming out but again, I hear very positive things from those who have to spend a lot of time in bumper to bumper traffic. looks like the 2019 will be more touchscreen based which will be welcomed
Old 08-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You guys think the A7 tech is lagging, should see my Jag F-Type R. Bare-bones tech, basically a driver's car, seats and engine, but it looks pretty, sounds mean, and goes fast (C&D clocked it 0-60 3.3 sec).

The Pretty Little Monster
Old 08-19-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by austin2012a7
You guys think the A7 tech is lagging, should see my Jag F-Type R. Bare-bones tech, basically a driver's car, seats and engine, but it looks pretty, sounds mean, and goes fast (C&D clocked it 0-60 3.3 sec).

The Pretty Little Monster
Nice car...I'd love to drive one.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't get the comment that it's not fair. When the new A6/7 comes out it won't be fair to the BMW by your logic. When we are ready to buy a new car we can't help that one car is more up to date than the other.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I don't get the comment that it's not fair. When the new A6/7 comes out it won't be fair to the BMW by your logic. When we are ready to buy a new car we can't help that one car is more up to date than the other.
yes, nice car indeed. Well maybe unfair is the wrong word and not sure what the right word is but you are basically comparing it to version that Audi pretty clear is shuffling out the door. Thoughts are, if the model cycle for a car is 6 years then for the great majority of that the new 540 will be slotted up against the 2019 prologue concept Audi A7 (this is no accident and pretty clear Audi putting a lot of eggs in this basket)

As I said if you are in need a new car now, this is a valid comparison. Most (i think?) who are in market for a new A7 are doing the latter comparison in mind. A6 seems more apples to apples

To get totally personal preferences out of the way neither the A6 or 540 do anything for me in terms of design language. 2019 A7 looks incredible but guessing that tech stuff is going to inflate the price out of my range for some time to come so I went backwards with the 2016 A7 (used) and am very happy with the purchase
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK, I am on the horns of a dilemma here. Need a new car right now. Drove both the a7 and the 540i. Like the a7 better. More expensive with less updates though and having a hard time choosing a car that will be updated soon vs a car that was just updated. That being said it's a lease I'll only have it for 2.5 years. Would anyone buy a 2017 a7 now??? It just drive soooo nice

Quick Reply: Traded my A7 for a 2017 BMW 540