A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Tune increase or decrease resale value - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune increase or decrease resale value - Opinions

Hey Guys,

So I am looking to make a big step up (2014 R8) and sell my car. I have a fully loaded A7 Prestige with literally every package. while I was collecting funds for the big toys, i decided to add some HP to my daily driver (Stage 2 GIAC). I want to put my car up for sale, and was told by my shop that if I ever wanted to go back to factory map they would do it for the cost of labor (under $200). So the question is, what are your opinions, are you for or against buying a car with a tune. I was thinking an enthusiast might be more inclined to purchase the vehicle. Just looking for opinions so I can figure out which route to take. The car feels great with the tune and it will be heart breaker if people think resale value will be better if factory, but such is life. Thanks for your opinions!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 65 years old and personally I would never buy a car like the A7 that had been molested. I vote for stock engine tune. But that's just an old fuddy duddy talking with lots of cash in the bank, and who just paid cash for a perfectly stock 2016 A7 TDI Prestige!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with orangeokie. I prefer to buy used cars that I believe were driven gently by old ladies on Sundays. I avoid buying any used car that has performance mods and/or a tune, because the car might have unidentified mechanical issues due the mods, the tune, or aggressive driving. (I'm old too, but not as old as orangeokie).

Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m 70 and have a Stage one A8. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a modded car as long as it ran flawlessly, was maintained with documentation and the owner didn’t appear to be a total douche. You should pull codes too and see if there is any outstanding issues. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alpine Al
I agree with orangeokie. I prefer to buy used cars that I believe were driven gently by old ladies on Sundays. I avoid buying any used car that has performance mods and/or a tune, because the car might have unidentified mechanical issues due the mods, the tune, or aggressive driving. (I'm old too, but not as old as orangeokie).

My 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo was actually driven by a little old lady (in tennis shoes) only on Sundays. I literally stole that car.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by yura89
Hey Guys,

So I am looking to make a big step up (2014 R8) and sell my car. I have a fully loaded A7 Prestige with literally every package. while I was collecting funds for the big toys, i decided to add some HP to my daily driver (Stage 2 GIAC). I want to put my car up for sale, and was told by my shop that if I ever wanted to go back to factory map they would do it for the cost of labor (under $200). So the question is, what are your opinions, are you for or against buying a car with a tune. I was thinking an enthusiast might be more inclined to purchase the vehicle. Just looking for opinions so I can figure out which route to take. The car feels great with the tune and it will be heart breaker if people think resale value will be better if factory, but such is life. Thanks for your opinions!
I worked for a dealer for many years and in my experience a tune will only appeal to a certain buyer. You may have to wait a while for a buyer who appreciates it. If you wanna open up the door to the average buyer, possibly sell it quicker, stock will always sell better.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I agree with dardrix. For me, I wouldnt buy a used car with engine performance mods. Indicates the car was probably run hard, otherwise why would someone spend the money to make the car go faster. That being said, there are potential customers out there who would appreciate the mods but finding one is going to be the challenge. I would like to have the tune done on my car as well because I like to go fast but without knowledge of how a car was maintained and driven, I would stay away.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by yura89
Hey Guys,

hmmm? I’m looking to buy an A7! I’m not scared of a little tune job. Let me know what you have and what you want for it!