A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Vented seat - are they cooled?

Old 04-23-2019, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vented seat - are they cooled?

I didn't notice much cooling effect on a warm day recently with the seat ventilation switch set to maximum.

Are the seats directly fed cold air from the climate control system or something? i.e. the AC compressor has to be turned on. (which I did not have on at the time)

Also, are the seats sucking air down into the seat cushions or blowing air up and outward?
Old 04-23-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

they are ventilated, not cooled, and driven by the fans, not connected to a compressor

I can think of a handful of cars that have truly cooled seats - none of them are Audi level pricing though
Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe they suck air downward to pull the warm air off of your body. Sometimes mine seems to run better than other times.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
I didn't notice much cooling effect on a warm day recently with the seat ventilation switch set to maximum.

Are the seats directly fed cold air from the climate control system or something? i.e. the AC compressor has to be turned on. (which I did not have on at the time)

Also, are the seats sucking air down into the seat cushions or blowing air up and outward?
They are not connected to the A/C system of the car at all. The seats have a fan that sucks air through the leather perforations.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well they certainly don't seem very effective. The 2 lower speeds are totally useless. On the noisy speed, I can barely feel 'something'; its not a very cooling if at all.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Well they certainly don't seem very effective. The 2 lower speeds are totally useless. On the noisy speed, I can barely feel 'something'; its not a very cooling if at all.
Some days mine works fantastic others days not so much. It could have to deal with how much perspiration is on my skin. I know some guys looked in to using stronger fans. The fans are very similar to what is used in computers.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
They are not connected to the A/C system of the car at all. The seats have a fan that sucks air through the leather perforations.
Plus 1
Old 05-25-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a bit bummed when I realized they are just pulling air. I mean, it helps some but the ones in my 08 E63 actually get cold, love it. Someone has to have figured out a way to upgrade? Does Audi offer actual cooling in any trim levels?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by CCCompton
I was a bit bummed when I realized they are just pulling air. I mean, it helps some but the ones in my 08 E63 actually get cold, love it. Someone has to have figured out a way to upgrade? Does Audi offer actual cooling in any trim levels?
A perfect example of how subjective things can be.

I had them in my 07 E55, and regretted them. The ones in my relatives Lexus ES were exponentially better, as were the ones in my S8. With that said none were important enough to me, even when traveling in summer months to AZ, etc, that it’s a toss away option for me and definitely not one that I “need”, personally.

actual cooling in a seat is for the world of Maybach, perhaps Bentley or RR, not at the “common” car level.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
A perfect example of how subjective things can be.

I had them in my 07 E55, and regretted them. The ones in my relatives Lexus ES were exponentially better, as were the ones in my S8. With that said none were important enough to me, even when traveling in summer months to AZ, etc, that it’s a toss away option for me and definitely not one that I “need”, personally.

actual cooling in a seat is for the world of Maybach, perhaps Bentley or RR, not at the “common” car level.
For sure, to each their own but with the humidity and heat here in Central Texas from May till September they are a blessing. Especially when I have work meetings and need to go suit and tie.

My dad has a 2011 Caddy SRX and it has the cooled seats as well. Just a luxury I have come to appreciate and love.

My A7 does have pretty dark tint and just a moonroof so that does help some. We'll see when it is 105 and 85% humidity. Can't wait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vented seat - are they cooled?