AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/)
-   -   Want to order 2016 A7, Q: Sports suspension package or not (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/want-order-2016-a7-q-sports-suspension-package-not-2879336/)

dawgcasa 02-21-2015 06:09 AM

Want to order 2016 A7, Q: Sports suspension package or not

I was wondering what are the key component differences between the sports suspension package vs normal, besides the wheels? Sway bars, springs?

I've test driven an A7 with the sports package but not yet one without. The sports package seemed to me kind of a 'normal' taunt european sedan driving experience, not teeth jaring. My wife is a bit concerned about an overly harsh ride, but I also don't want a soft pillow. I like responsive sporty handling but comfortable for long trips, where the occasional pothole or uneven pavement won't make it sound like the dash just fell off. I know, go test drive the other one :-).

Also, I've read of folks getting 6% below MSRP to place an order. I'm just starting the process, 1st dealer offered effectively 4% below, or $1000 over invoice. Any folks here get 6% at a SoCal dealer ... if so which dealer?

redrocker55 02-21-2015 12:39 PM

I just test drove the A6 with and without the sports package. The A6 without felt soft to me..leaning in corners and a little more movement over bumps. The highway ride was comfortable but I prefer a sportier ride.

The a6 with the sports suspension was just like you described...european firm. Not jarring but confident.

I currently drive a S4 and the sports suspension in the A6 was not as firm as my S4 where you feel most every imperfection in the road.

I think the A6/A7 with sports package is a great compromise for all day comfort around town or the highway while maintaining a sporty feel and a level of sharp handling.

melland 02-21-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dawgcasa (Post 24658414)
I was wondering what are the key component differences between the sports suspension package vs normal, besides the wheels? Sway bars, springs?

I've test driven an A7 with the sports package but not yet one without. The sports package seemed to me kind of a 'normal' taunt european sedan driving experience, not teeth jaring. My wife is a bit concerned about an overly harsh ride, but I also don't want a soft pillow. I like responsive sporty handling but comfortable for long trips, where the occasional pothole or uneven pavement won't make it sound like the dash just fell off. I know, go test drive the other one :-).

Also, I've read of folks getting 6% below MSRP to place an order. I'm just starting the process, 1st dealer offered effectively 4% below, or $1000 over invoice. Any folks here get 6% at a SoCal dealer ... if so which dealer?

Pretty easy to get 6%... there are two programs that enable a 6% discount: the Supplier Program and belonging to Audi Club NA.

If you work at a participating suppliers, you can get a 6% discount. The list is floating around here in the forum.

The Audi Club also allows for a 6% discount after you have been a member for 6 months. Or if you join as a lifetime member, the 6% benefit kicks in immediately.

jjsC6 02-21-2015 06:49 PM

I suggest the 19" sport package. I have 20's and they can get very jiggly over uneven concrete expansion joints and such. I actually would like to put 19's on mine. The suspension itself has good control and absorbs most single bumps well.

A7_TDI 02-22-2015 07:19 AM

+1 on 19" sport package.

Baloo588 02-22-2015 03:30 PM

What about the A7 with the 20 inch rims and nonsport suspension? I have yet to drive one with this combo and was curious if that will provide a good balance too?

dawgcasa 02-22-2015 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Baloo588 (Post 24658847)
What about the A7 with the 20 inch rims and nonsport suspension? I have yet to drive one with this combo and was curious if that will provide a good balance too?

The thing I don't like about really low profile tires on such a large wheel ... besides the harsh ride ... is how easy it is to hit a pot hole and blister a tire sidewall, or even knock the wheel out of around. With the AWD, blister one tire and you might be buying a set of four depending on the wear.

Baloo588 02-22-2015 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dawgcasa (Post 24658882)
The thing I don't like about really low profile tires on such a large wheel ... besides the harsh ride ... is how easy it is to hit a pot hole and blister a tire sidewall, or even knock the wheel out of around. With the AWD, blister one tire and you might be buying a set of four depending on the wear.

Thats very true. We get alot of pot holes here in Michigan and I have 19 inch rims on my Lexus and I have been very good at it without bending any rims or damaging any tires after 40k miles. The 20 inch rims have tires that are thicker then my Lexus due to the ratio of the sidewall to the width of the tire so I know I will be just fine. The ride on my bother's 2016 A6 with the 20 inch rims are a bit harsh so I had to put all season Michelins on the rims for him and they helped a lot and now we are using 19 inch winter wheels and tires for the winter time to help with winter traction and to give more sidewall for bad roads. BTW, the 20 inch tires on the A6 a slightly thinner then the tires on the A7 with 20 inch rims.

dawgcasa 02-24-2015 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by melland (Post 24658567)
Pretty easy to get 6%... there are two programs that enable a 6% discount: the Supplier Program and belonging to Audi Club NA.

If you work at a participating suppliers, you can get a 6% discount. The list is floating around here in the forum.

The Audi Club also allows for a 6% discount after you have been a member for 6 months. Or if you join as a lifetime member, the 6% benefit kicks in immediately.

So far I've contacted four dealers in the SoCal area within 25 miles of my home. Two said they would order the 2016 A7 with my specified options for about $100-$200 over invoice + T&L. One I'm still awaiting a response. One insisted on full MSRP. When I gave the salesman at dealer X both his competitors $5K+ lower offers, and the info on the Audi Club of NA discount, he still insisted the price was full MSRP, period ... insisting that was simply a 'fair profit' on a 'special' low production model required for him to make a living, and that he was a professional salesman not a 'metal mover'. Right. He's selling art and a lifestyle, not metal. He must have missed out on economics 101, and forgotten about the dealer's other incentives and OEM marketing kickbacks they get compensated on ... and that there'd be no carrying costs for this car since it wouldn't spend a day on their lot. Amazing in this day and age of internet information.

jjsC6 02-24-2015 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by dawgcasa (Post 24659633)
So far I've contacted four dealers in the SoCal area within 25 miles of my home. Two said they would order the 2016 A7 with my specified options for about $100-$200 over invoice + T&L. One I'm still awaiting a response. One insisted on full MSRP. When I gave the salesman at dealer X both his competitors $5K+ lower offers, and the info on the Audi Club of NA discount, he still insisted the price was full MSRP, period ... insisting that was simply a 'fair profit' on a 'special' low production model required for him to make a living, and that he was a professional salesman not a 'metal mover'. Right. He's selling art and a lifestyle, not metal. He must have missed out on economics 101, and forgotten about the dealer's other incentives and OEM marketing kickbacks they get compensated on ... and that there'd be no carrying costs for this car since it wouldn't spend a day on their lot. Amazing in this day and age of internet information.

I don't blame you for walking away from him, but why throw stones at him? The pricing strategy comes from the dealer management, not the salesman. I have known owners and General Managers of a number of dealers. They will all tell you that it's not unusual for someone to walk in and pay full list. I think you'd be amazed at how many people don't know how to do the homework on the Internet.