AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/)
-   -   Wants to buy a a7 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-192/wants-buy-a7-2971769/)

audiap 05-05-2019 08:37 PM

Wants to buy a a7

Hey guys I been reading these forums for a while and I’ve been dreaming about buying a7 do you think is wise for me to buy six or seven year old Audi or should I try to go for a 2015 and up model

davepjr71 05-06-2019 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by audiap (Post 25312623)
Hey guys I been reading these forums for a while and I’ve been dreaming about buying a7 do you think is wise for me to buy six or seven year old Audi or should I try to go for a 2015 and up model

It's honestly up to you about what you are looking for and want to spend. A lot of guys like myself are picking up 2012/13 A7's and couldn't be happier. Most people can't tell the difference between a 2012 or a 2015. Newer ones typically can be a CPO or still have Factory warranties if that is important to you.

orangeokie 05-07-2019 06:38 PM

If you are an owner who holds on to a car for just a year or two, the older models seem like a good value. If you are a long term owner, the newer the better IMO. I bought a 2016 TDi with 16,000 miles and plane to keep it forever. I'm retired and my wife is close.

tuscani66 05-15-2019 06:30 PM

Another thought, budget and geographic reasons, on this side of the pond the 2012-2015 are essentially the same car/design/options/etc. 2016 has some exterior subtle differences (but nice ones) like headlights and taillights but the interior change I LOVE the most is the full size color screen on the dash cluster and by that I specifically mean how it shows the full map in color (whereas the 2012-2015 just has a compass and street names).

So I would answer questions by the following:
1. Budget reasons (can you get a 2016 for similar priced 2015) or if a low mileage and well optioned 2012 is significantly cheaper than a normal mileage (obviously higher) 2015 then the 2012 is a better deal.
2. Purpose for the car - daily driver / daily driver with performance mods / etc because cost of aftermarket parts differ.
3. And this is last but not because of importance but because it should matter by default - no matter the year you choose make sure it has a real inspection (by dealer or the like) and hopefully all maintenance records. You could buy a 2016 10k miles RS7 for 20grand but if it was beat to hell and back all 10k miles with no maintenance then it would explain the ridicously low price of $20,000 (as they still fetch north of 65k).

davepjr71 05-16-2019 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by tuscani66 (Post 25317494)
Another thought, budget and geographic reasons, on this side of the pond the 2012-2015 are essentially the same car/design/options/etc. 2016 has some exterior subtle differences (but nice ones) like headlights and taillights but the interior change I LOVE the most is the full size color screen on the dash cluster and by that I specifically mean how it shows the full map in color (whereas the 2012-2015 just has a compass and street names).

So I would answer questions by the following:
1. Budget reasons (can you get a 2016 for similar priced 2015) or if a low mileage and well optioned 2012 is significantly cheaper than a normal mileage (obviously higher) 2015 then the 2012 is a better deal.
2. Purpose for the car - daily driver / daily driver with performance mods / etc because cost of aftermarket parts differ.
3. And this is last but not because of importance but because it should matter by default - no matter the year you choose make sure it has a real inspection (by dealer or the like) and hopefully all maintenance records. You could buy a 2016 10k miles RS7 for 20grand but if it was beat to hell and back all 10k miles with no maintenance then it would explain the ridicously low price of $20,000 (as they still fetch north of 65k).

This is all good stuff especially #3. The Mazda dealership I bought my 2012 at did their inspection. When I bought it I took it to an Audi dealership the same day and the found a bad motor mount that the Mazda guys had no clue about. If I'd waited long it would have been a $900 hit. The car had very good service records which was also good.

A recommendation would be to have an Audi tech pull up the VIN and give their opinion if they are willing. I also did that.

Valpo A7 05-17-2019 08:54 AM

We bought a 2012 A7 end of last summer with 142K miles. Its at 167K now with no problems. The car fax indicated it had always had Audi service every 10K at the same dealership and with the motors being said to last 300K I was not concerned out it. Car was sold to the first owner, serviced every 10K by the selling dealer, traded in to that same dealer, and resold to me by them as well.

Now I do my own maintenance and I have not had it in the shop other than my own garage for routine oil changes and a set of front brake pads.

SpectreGadget 05-20-2019 04:23 PM

Three years ago, I bought my 2012 A7 and rolled 100K miles driving it home. It's now at 160K miles, and I still love it. Such a beautiful design and great performance. I'm looking to sell, but not because I dislike the car, but more because I have an itch for the S7 twin turbos... lol. The drivetrain is one of the best, and I get way more compliments on this car than the S5 I had previously. You see them out there, but not nearly as many as other Audis, so it keeps a nice level of uniqueness to it. Go for it!