A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

55tfsi MPG and any issues overall

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 55tfsi MPG and any issues overall

Hi folks, Think of getting an A7 - looking like like S-tronic options are the way to go from posts... Opinions on the following topics would be much appreciated thanks.

I guess 1) and 2) are more for more recent purchasers.

1)..... Does anyone have any reason to think the Tiptronic slo-mo issues are fixed yet? .. are they fixable? .or likely to be retro-fixed anytime soon?

2)....... There were a few issues like squeaky dash and tech failures in early releases... any hint these are sorted in current release? or is it pot-luck to get a 'Friday afternoon' car?

3)..... What MPG are you getting from 55 TFSI? .... please specify - mixed, urban or motorway? US or imperial?

I am sure these potatoes have been boiled before in the forum, but would appreciate more updated info, now things (hopefully) should have settled a little.

Many thanks in advance

Smoothie
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

In the US (and maybe Canada) the only option we have is the S-tronic (dual cutch) gearbox for the new A7. However, in daily driving I see no difference between the S-Tronic and the 8 speed slush box from our 2015 A7. Both operate seamlessly and no issues. I’ve mentioned this before, but the S-Tronic in our A7 operates smoother than the PDK in our Porsche.

In spirited driving the S-Tronic does downshift and upshift a lot faster. The car is fun to push on a winding road

“Friday afternoon car” made me laugh. When I was a child all the cars my Father ordered he would first check what the build date was before accepting delivery. If built on a Friday he was not happy. That said my new A7 has been near flawless. No squeaks or rattles and I’m a freak about those things

I’m averaging 18.7mpg with 80% city of Chicago driving. 2-3mpg better that our previous A7.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
In the US (and maybe Canada) the only option we have is the S-tronic (dual cutch) gearbox for the new A7. However, in daily driving I see no difference between the S-Tronic and the 8 speed slush box from our 2015 A7. Both operate seamlessly and no issues. I’ve mentioned this before, but the S-Tronic in our A7 operates smoother than the PDK in our Porsche.

In spirited driving the S-Tronic does downshift and upshift a lot faster. The car is fun to push on a winding road

“Friday afternoon car” made me laugh. When I was a child all the cars my Father ordered he would first check what the build date was before accepting delivery. If built on a Friday he was not happy. That said my new A7 has been near flawless. No squeaks or rattles and I’m a freak about those things

I’m averaging 18.7mpg with 80% city of Chicago driving. 2-3mpg better that our previous A7.
Many thanks C - very helpful.

I don't think the US users can answer my tiptronic question - it seems to be a specific issue on the latest tip-diesel combos - something like.... press the loud pedal, hold you breath for 3 seconds why it ponders - and then hang on to the rocket ship. Not nice when pulling out into a short gap in fast moving traffic.

some forums indicate it could be sorted in a software change - but no new thus far

cheer
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by smoothound54

some forums indicate it could be sorted in a software change - but no new thus far

cheer
Hi Smoothound54

I have the A7 2019 50TDI. The Gearbox is terrible. The DTUK gearbox Tune didn't help much, just slight improvement.
It is driveable, though. You get used to it.
I will try to reapply the tune again and try to use the manual gearshifting to help to teach the gearbox how I like it to change the gears.

The car is beautiful. People always comment on how nice it is. You feel that you drive a unique vehicle.
It is very comfortable even in a 21inch tyre. Very quiet. It just doesn't like particular type of imperfection on the roads. Generally, it is a very lovely suspension (air suspension).

I didn't have any issue with the presense. I have the full option Vorsprung.
No rattles to date. I have done 850 miles in 2 months.

Can you guide me please to the links of the forums that discuss the gearbox solutions?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tom Henderson
Hi Smoothound54

I have the A7 2019 50TDI. The Gearbox is terrible. The DTUK gearbox Tune didn't help much, just slight improvement.
It is driveable, though. You get used to it.
I will try to reapply the tune again and try to use the manual gearshifting to help to teach the gearbox how I like it to change the gears.

The car is beautiful. People always comment on how nice it is. You feel that you drive a unique vehicle.
It is very comfortable even in a 21inch tyre. Very quiet. It just doesn't like particular type of imperfection on the roads. Generally, it is a very lovely suspension (air suspension).

I didn't have any issue with the presense. I have the full option Vorsprung.
No rattles to date. I have done 850 miles in 2 months.

Can you guide me please to the links of the forums that discuss the gearbox solutions?
thanks T - good info - I can't recall the precise forums sorry - I was just browsing at the time - I think this one perhaps https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/ or this.. - VW Audi Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Forum Dedicated to the whole Volkswagen (VW) Group - Forum News - but not sure sorry.

it was a little while ago - hence my post to catch up

good luck
Old 06-10-2019, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks mate
Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2019 Audi A7 (USA 55 TFSI( was built this year. It doesn't have the "slo-mo" issues you described and has been a great car so far. I test drove an Audi Q8 when I bought my car and that had terrible lag issues that I wanted to get out of the car. So far no squeaky dash or tech failures (have driven around 1300 miles). I am averaging 27 mpg (80% Highway, 20% Local approx).
Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by possib1edoc
My 2019 Audi A7 (USA 55 TFSI( was built this year. It doesn't have the "slo-mo" issues you described and has been a great car so far. I test drove an Audi Q8 when I bought my car and that had terrible lag issues that I wanted to get out of the car. So far no squeaky dash or tech failures (have driven around 1300 miles). I am averaging 27 mpg (80% Highway, 20% Local approx).
Thanks very helpful - 32 MPG imperial (27 US) is about what I was hoping for - MPG is not a big deal but i need a figure for a spread sheet when I compare car options - that'll do! Yes the tfsi has the S-tronic so it's pretty slick - it's the big diesel-tiptronic combos that are known to have a slo-mo problem - I was wondering if the oft-promised fix had materialised yet.

I guess is most on this forum are from the good ole USoA - they prolly can't answer that particular point - so thanks for the Q8 intel - sounds like the tiptronic options are still suffering 'slooooow....mooooow ...... rocket!!!!!.'

Glad you have a good car - gives me confidence to hear a good-news story on a forum. Normally faults predominate.

cheers