A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. Mine just came in today. I'm still working on pricing. They show a charge for "PermaPlate", which sounds like a bs markup to me. Has anyone noticed whether they are willing to give any reductions from MSRP?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As Alphatero states the Active Matrix functionality is still pending US government approval. Once approved Audi can flash upgrade the lights. However the laser functionality is available. I've only had one chance to use this and certainly brighter than my old A7 LEDs but hard to say if worth the money without more use

For the ride the all-seasons are perfect with the sport suspension for me. I would have gotten 21" if I lived in a climate that would allow that. I don't think the ride would deteriorate by much. My old 911 had 20 rims and the new one has 21. Both P-zero. I noticed no difference in ride

I haven't tried voice commands. At first I had to always look down to the glass to change anything, but now I have shortcuts for all the key items like heated steering wheel, home link, radio presets, home navigation. Those sit on the top row of the lower screen and easy to access without looking down.

Fuel economy is averaging 16MPG. That about 2 more MPGs than the old A7 for pure in town driving. However, I'm being gentle with the throttle and keeping her below 4K rpm

Car is at the detailer for and ceramic coating and paint protection film. I'll post some pics when she back in a week
Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alikat33
Great review. Mine just came in today. I'm still working on pricing. They show a charge for "PermaPlate", which sounds like a bs markup to me. Has anyone noticed whether they are willing to give any reductions from MSRP?
Dealer in FL offered 6% ACNA discount, even without the certificate from Audi Club.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2018 M550i right now and was looking at a new A7, among others, once my lease is up.

I like the back of the car but the front looks really bad compared to the preceding A7. It just has no aggressiveness, at all.

Would also be really hard for me to go from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds to 0-60 in over 5 seconds....that just is dinosaur-like in this day and age for a luxury car.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr244
I have a 2018 M550i right now and was looking at a new A7, among others, once my lease is up.

I like the back of the car but the front looks really bad compared to the preceding A7. It just has no aggressiveness, at all.

Would also be really hard for me to go from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds to 0-60 in over 5 seconds....that just is dinosaur-like in this day and age for a luxury car.
IMO comparing an M550’s 0-60 performance to an A7 is apples to oranges, and makes little objective sense. You’d need to wait for the upcoming S7 for a more realistic and objective performance comparison. As far as your feelings regarding the front end design—that’s a fairer, albeit, entirely subjective commentary more focused to your individual taste/perception of the car’s design.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L

IMO comparing an M550’s 0-60 performance to an A7 is apples to oranges, and makes little objective sense. You’d need to wait for the upcoming S7 for a more realistic and objective performance comparison. As far as your feelings regarding the front end design—that’s a fairer, albeit, entirely subjective commentary more focused to your individual taste/perception of the car’s design.
Maybe performance wise, yes. However, coming from a couple M6's before....I do not consider the M550 to be a real M car. It really is just slotted in the normal 550i slot below the M5.

Thus, price-wise....I feel the M550i compares closer to the A7 than the S7 (whereas the M5 compares more to the S7/RS7). Personally, I think that's why the M550 is a great buy.....the rest of the car is pretty standard but the performance is just amazing compared to other cars in it's class (my M550 is faster than my preceding 2014 M6 Gran Coupe due to the AWD).

Another competitor people talk about is the E53.....which is a joke considering it's more than the M550 and is much slower. I know it's not all about speed......

Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr244
Maybe performance wise, yes. However, coming from a couple M6's before....I do not consider the M550 to be a real M car. It really is just slotted in the normal 550i slot below the M5.

Thus, price-wise....I feel the M550i compares closer to the A7 than the S7 (whereas the M5 compares more to the S7/RS7). Personally, I think that's why the M550 is a great buy.....the rest of the car is pretty standard but the performance is just amazing compared to other cars in it's class (my M550 is faster than my preceding 2014 M6 Gran Coupe due to the AWD).

Another competitor people talk about is the E53.....which is a joke considering it's more than the M550 and is much slower. I know it's not all about speed......
454-hp V8 vs. 335-hp V6...Sorry, but not sure how you consider the M550i comparing closer to the A7. S7 comparison to the M550i, yes that will likely be closer when the S7 specs are released.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

BMW M / Mercedes AMG / Audi RS
All compete with one another. Generally, it's apples/apples in that group.

Audi's S line competes with BMW's (usually 40i and up models in their current line up) including their brand line extension models like M240i and M550i.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
Any questions let me know. She goes in next week for 5 days to get a Paint Protection Film (PPF) wrap and a ceramic coating. I could talk for hours about the benefits of that if you are a person that is **** retentive about your car’s appearance.
re: Ceramic Coating
ChicagoA6,

I am about to order mine next week in virtually the same configuration, other than the exterior color and the upgraded stereo:
A7 Prestige/Daytona Grey/20” all season/S-Line/Comfort-Contour Seats, black seats w grey stitching/Achat Grey Trim/Convenience Pkg/Cold Weather Pkg/Driver Assistance Pkg/Standard Stereo.
One of my concerns was how dark the interior might be, but putting your affinity for Black over Black aside, any comment?

I was hoping Audi would also provide US market with the Black Optics Package that is available everywhere else, but alas... So, I am having a vinyl "chrome delete" applied to the grill and window trim and to the rear chrome (the fake exhaust port trim maybe as well, but that's an on-site last minute decision.

I am almost certainly having a ceramic protective coat applied, but have no experience with it. Does it require bi-yearly or seasonal maintenance? Any downside or cautions to be discussed with the vendor? (btw, he has an excellent reputation) Could you (or any other forum members with ceramic coatings experience) comment... Also, any thoughts onOpti-Coat Pro Plus versus Ceramic Pro 9H coatings, or any others?
...and PPF film on the front end, too.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by doctorharrison; 12-28-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

doctorharrison

i don’t think it will be too dark. I’m black on black, but have the light grey headliner so that lightens the interior up. When I get the car back from the detail shop next week I’ll post some photos

For the ceramic coatings they don’t require much maintenance. What I do is ever 2 months apply CarPro Reload which is a spray-on sealant. Just spray on and wipe off a dry surface following a wash. It’s meant to help maintain the coating. The CQuartz Pro coating is also made by CarPro. Takes all of 15 minutes for the whole car

Before applying the coating make sure the shop does a full paint correction (polish the paint). You want the paint surface to be perfect and clean with no contamination. That will give the coating the best surface to attach too and provide the best longevity for the coating.

I’m also having the full front (bumper, hood, front quarter panels) and rear bumper wrapped with Suntek PPF. Did the same thing on our other car and love it. On a black car you wont see any lines from the film. PPF won’t do anything for the shine, it’s strictly a way to prevent rock chips and alike from damag8ng the paint. The coating is applied over the PPF

its important to mention that ceramic coatings don’t prevent swirl marks on a black car. Granted they will mitigate the swirls due to the hardness of the coating (as opposed to a wax or sealant), but you still need to do proper washing and drying techniques to keep that mirror like finish for years.

A quality detail shop will offer the right products for your needs. Some coatings and PPFs are more for garage queens and others for daily drivers

I’ll post some pics of the finished product next week when I pick her up

in the meantime here is a link to a thread on a Porsche forum that provides recommended (and not recommended) coating and PPF installers

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...rs-thread.html

also a thread on dos and don’ts on PPF and coatings

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1113...-ppf-warp.html

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions