A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Is your Carplay a little "aggressive" and a radio shortcuts question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is your Carplay a little "aggressive" and a radio shortcuts question

Just picked up my A7 this weekend and one of the things I was excited about coming from a 2016 was getting Carplay, and even better, wireless Carplay. It seems to work well but it also seems a little aggressive. By that I mean I can end a trip with the MMI on the radio setting and then when I get back in, it might start on radio, but as soon as the Carplay connection is made, it will change the MMI from radio to Carplay. Anyone else experiencing this or have any thoughts?

My question on radio shortcuts has to do with keeping the Source for radio on Favorites. If I select a radio shortcut I've saved from the lower screen, the radio will tune to that station, but even though that station is one of my Favorites and the source had been set to Favorites, the tuning process also changes the radio source to whatever type of station (FM, SXM) and does not keep it on Favorites. Is there a workaround for this? It's kind of a pain if I then want to go to another of my Favorite Channels since I'm not saving all of them on my Shortcuts.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome. I was also excited about wireless CarPlay. I have the same issue whereby CarPlay starts up and returns to the streaming service I was playing previously. In my case Tidal streaming service

So I just went out to the car and stated her up. She began playing CNBC (Sat radio) which is what I was playing when I drove home yesterday and that was the last time I drove. My phone was connected (wirelessly) and CarPlay apps were available. So while the car was running I switched over to Tidal service via the MMI screen and became to stream a song.

i then shut the car off, exited and locked it. Waited.... then unlocked and started back up. The car returned to the same song I was streaming from Tidal via CarPlay immediately.

I then manually switched over to CNBC again and shut the car off and locked her. Spent ~20 minutes cutting up cardboard boxes for the trash (my wife is having an affair with Amazon Prime....). I also made sure that Tidal was not running in the background on my phone. I closed the app

returned to the car and started her up and it returned to CNBC. Phone was connected and CarPlay was available.

For me the car returns to what was previously playing, but again I did close the Tidal app on my phone and waited a while

I understand your issues with presets. Not sure what the solution is. However, did you know you can have more shortcuts than what is shown on the lower MMI? Just swipe right to left to scroll through shortcuts

hope that helps
Old 04-24-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe it's not having the app open in the background or recently used on the phone when I get back in the car. I'll try that.

On the shortcuts, I know you can scroll the screen, I just don't want to put all or most of my radio favorites also on the shortcuts. I'd actually been hoping the shortcuts could help me jump around a little on my Favorites list rather than having to flick-scroll a bunch with my finger on the top screen (its the one thing I miss about the 2016 control ****). I've got 2 radio shortcuts and one is a station that's positioned towards the beginning of my 15 or so Favorites, and the other one is a station that's towards the end of the list. My thought was that as long as the source stayed on Favorites, I could easily use those two shortcuts to jump to the end or beginning of the Favorites. Doesn't work if pressing the shortcut changes the source to the main list of that particular station type. I'll try one other thing. The first part of my Favorites list are FM stations and the latter are SXM so I've got one FM shortcut and one SXM one. I'll see if I stay on the same band if it will still move off of Favorites and on to the full list of whatever band I'm on. If that works, I can just put an SXM station mixed in with the FM ones at the beginning and be able to jump to that part of the list.