A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 S8 - Fuel Pump Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 S8 - Fuel Pump Issue

OK, My car started to not work on petrol ( i have LPG Installed ). When igntion on - i do not hear that sound of pump. So i took it out. Wanted to test it with a battery - and the strange thing - it works. But when connected back to its original place - i dont hear it when ingition is turned on. Fuses in the passenger side are OK. What else i can test ? Of course.. a relay under passengers floor mat, what else ?Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Serlock
OK, My car started to not work on petrol ( i have LPG Installed ). When igntion on - i do not hear that sound of pump. So i took it out. Wanted to test it with a battery - and the strange thing - it works. But when connected back to its original place - i dont hear it when ingition is turned on. Fuses in the passenger side are OK. What else i can test ? Of course.. a relay under passengers floor mat, what else ?Thanks in advance!
A normal working pump will only run for about 2 seconds ONLY the FIRST time ignition key is switched on, to prime the system.

After that the pump will only run while the engine is turning, including during starter operation.

The engine speed sensor (crank position sensor) sends a signal to the ECM to energize the fuel pump relay. If the sensor is bad or disconnected, the fuel pump relay will not send power to the pump.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Car run perfect on LPG, so crank sensor is ok .
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Car run perfect on LPG, so crank sensor is ok .
If you say so...I (and most) haven't a clue how the LPG conversion is plumbed or controlled, compared to the factory petrol system.

If all is well, voltage will be reaching the pump during cranking...not with key just turned to "ignition", unless engine is turning. If no voltage at the pump during cranking, you work your back...wiring, relay, ECM, engine speed sensor, ignition switch...not much more in the system would interrupt power to the pump.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took out the pump, went to a garage, guys tested it. IT is OK. Now i put it back, removed pipe from fuel line in the engine. I put that pipe into bottle, and tried to crank, fuel goes to the bottle. I put it back. Crank engine, cant start it, was cranking for a long time. But no success. Engine starts to catch up little but not start... So fuel pump is ok. any ideas?

Last edited by Serlock; 01-14-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I took out the pump, went to a garage, guys tested it. IT is OK. Now i put it back, removed pipe from fuel line in the engine. I put that pipe into bottle, and tried to crank, fuel goes to the bottle. I put it back. Crank engine, cant start it, was cranking for a long time. But no success. Engine starts to catch up little but not start... So fuel pump is ok. any ideas?
With pump out, was a delivery volume check done? ...It could pump, but insufficiently.

Did you add extra fuel after replacing the pump, to prime it? ...the first fuel put in goes right to the pump, not the bottom of the tank.

VagCom scan for codes?

Sure you're getting spark?

Fuel pressure check (per Bentley manual) under the hood...before and after the pressure regulator?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fuel pump check was bad. It was running but not goo enough. Changed pump and its fine now.

ALL i can say, that fuel pump change is easy, just follow youtube videos and anyone who is able to hold a spanner will do it.