A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 S8 Problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 S8 Problems.....

Hey guys...

So as some of you may know... Ive had a ton of issues with my S8...

New motor.... Rebuilt trans... Fuel pump saga... yada yada yada...

Well heres some things im running into now...

First, my gear selector isnt releasing the button in any gear except for park. And thank god because i wouldnt be able to remove the key if it wasnt fully engaged in park. So while im driving, if i was to somehow hit the gear selector up, it could very easily go into R while driving...and yea... be VERY BAD..... So I need any kind of info on how to get a look at the internals of this piece. Take it apart and see wtf is wrong with the button not engaging.

Second is that ive had my trans rebuilt. I have a 12,000 mile 1 year warranty. Both of which arent even close yet. To me it feels like there is a slight slip between 2300-2800 rpms when accelerating, mostly in gear 3. Also, theres times when if rolling to a stop sign and moving through, it usually keeps me in 2 it feels like. And if i go to get into a little bit, it feels like there is no power, like something is blocking it.... then if i let off the pedal and get back into it, all the power is there.... its weird... ive never felt something like that before... its hard to explain but its happened on a few occasions. Yesterday, I went to mat it to get around traffic and engaged the button under the pedal and it took a solid full second to engage and downshift and start going... to the point where i almost got rear ended from the oncoming traffic in the lane i was merging into.

I dont know what to do because these symptoms dont happen all the time and without feeling them, you wouldnt know. What do i do?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get on the gas pedal before you release the brake pedal all the way, it's designed to cut off the accelerator. "It" thinks that you "accidentally" pressed the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal. Like in a "panic" situation.

This safety feature is controlled by switches

From Bentley: "Because the injection system operates with an accelerator pedal sensor (potentiometer), the engine is throttled back for reasons of safety when the brakes are applied. To do this the control module requires signals from the brake light switch and also the brake pedal switch."

"This means, that if the brakes are operated when the accelerator pedal is held at a constant position the engine speed is immediately reduced. Incorrectly adjusted switches may lead to un-required regulating processes."
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I only drive with one foot... dont you? :P

i mean i guessssssssss if i was going from one to the other really fast it cold still be releasing pressure on the barking system... hmmm...

but yesterday when i matted it to merge into traffic and it literally took a whole second to even start doing anything was not cool.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8

Also, theres times when if rolling to a stop sign and moving through, it usually keeps me in 2 it feels like. And if i go to get into a little bit, it feels like there is no power, like something is blocking it.... then if i let off the pedal and get back into it, all the power is there.... its weird... ive never felt something like that before... its hard to explain but its happened on a few occasions.
^^That part^^ is very common (intermittently) to many (all?) D2 transmissions...mine has always done that (at times), esp on slight downhill rolling stops...foot off and back on gets it into 1st where it should be. The lack of power is mainly expecting 1st gear when still in 2nd.

Having gotten used to this, if I'm intent on a full speed takeoff following a rolling stop, I go to tip and down shift to 1st coming into the intersection. Of course that only works with the proper trans soft coding...00032 with A8 ...and 01032 (I believe) with S8.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
esp on slight downhill rolling stops...foot off and back on gets it into 1st where it should be. The lack of power is mainly expecting 1st gear when still in 2nd.

I have felt it most pulling out of my road onto the main road which IS at the bottom of a hill.... BUT... the thing is, if i dont let off and keep same % of throttle, it even shifts into next gear and that feels like **** too.... but the second i let off and let the trans "catch up" it feels like, boom.... everything is right back to normal....

Any one with a diagram of gear selector?? When I put it into park the button comes out, 50% of the time i put it in drive, it clicks out by itself, the other 50% I have to fiddle with it and literally pull the button out. Reverse is fickity... sometimes yes, most times no....
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I got my car into the shop today and have found a few things...

My Fuel Pressure is about 35.... Supposed to be around 50+psi at idle...

Even removing vacuum doesnt raise fuel pressure...

I think this is causing alot of the problems im having and i need to get it fixed!

Im thinking a couple different causes:

1. When the pump housing was going into the tank, something wasnt connected correctly, or all the way and its not making a tight enough connection to create enough fuel pressure

2. The fuel pump is dying

3. There is a broken line or hose in the intricate inners of the fuel tank itself.

Im really hoping its not #3 because that would really ruin my day...

Im sticking right around 35psi... anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '01-S8
So I got my car into the shop today and have found a few things...

My Fuel Pressure is about 35.... Supposed to be around 50+psi at idle...

Even removing vacuum doesnt raise fuel pressure...

I think this is causing alot of the problems im having and i need to get it fixed!

Im thinking a couple different causes:

1. When the pump housing was going into the tank, something wasnt connected correctly, or all the way and its not making a tight enough connection to create enough fuel pressure

2. The fuel pump is dying

3. There is a broken line or hose in the intricate inners of the fuel tank itself.

Im really hoping its not #3 because that would really ruin my day...

Im sticking right around 35psi... anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you already replaced the fuel filter?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got it!!!!!

OHHH How so many problems have been solved....

There was a cut in the rubber hose just above the machine fitting that causing me to lose an insane amount of fuel pressure...

car feels strong, smooth, just as it should.

got a busy day at work today but ill check back in later.