A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 S8 vs 08 S6?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for all the info S8silver and everyone else! Went in to the dealership down the streeet to look at the S6 and it was sold over the weekend. Never updated the website and even the guy I spoke to on the phone didn't tell me it was sold. Would have been pissed if it was out of the way. Anyways, my search is now narrowed to:
1. 2001 S8. The favorite so far.

2. 2006 A8L with 45k miles and around 25k$. Looks great to me and based on other post is not the electrical problem year of 2004 so should be good right? May be too luxurious for me with not enough handling, not sure.

3. 2007 S6 (another one!) with 70k miles, BUT this is located 145 miles away from me and i think my rental car that the insurance company has provided is not allowed to cross over into another state.

Thanks again guys. If you could chime in on these three I shall try to wrap it up soon. I am kind of leaning towards the A8L based on looks and if I really like it, I can always upgrade the suspension to handle better.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevanrk

Thanks again guys. If you could chime in on these three I shall try to wrap it up soon. I am kind of leaning towards the A8L based on looks and if I really like it, I can always upgrade the suspension to handle better.
The D3 stock air suspension is fantastic if no leaks. It's fully adjustable for ride height/comfort. There are aftermarket companies (Arnott rings a bell) that remanufacture the stock air shocks with upgraded internals and give a lifetime warranty. They're comparable to what you'd spend on a good set of coilovers. But, you may have years of use with no issues at all without ever touching what's on there. I'm sure there are a lot of factors (mileage, climate, driving style) that affect the life of the components.

Last edited by S8ilver; 10-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's a very neat feature. I had an adjustable suspension on my prior car, but every time you adjusted it you would have to get an alignment due to toe being affected by ride height. Is this the same or do they have some very cool self adjusting feature that takes care of this on the fly?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevanrk
Wow that's a very neat feature. I had an adjustable suspension on my prior car, but every time you adjusted it you would have to get an alignment due to toe being affected by ride height. Is this the same or do they have some very cool self adjusting feature that takes care of this on the fly?
You were mechanically adjusting...the A8 has an air suspension, all controlled through the MMI.

https://www.audiworld.com/articles/2...ve-suspension/

Search this Thread