A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 160k mi too much for a 2000 A8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 160k mi too much for a 2000 A8?

I apologize for my newbiness....i've got my eye on a 2000 A8 with 160k on the clock. The owner is competant and said it was a trade-in at a dealership. He says everything works on it except for a small coolant leak at the oil cooler (not sure if that's what he meant...coolant or oil).

What can I expect in terms of reliability? I'm a competant mechanic but I don't want to buy a money pit. Any suggestions? I looked over the buyers guide for the car, but what else should I look out for?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oil cooler not a big deal-loads of help here

Tran hunting/thumping in american cars and check the timing belts been done.
[He meant coolant out of the oil coooler-suggest you check the cars coolant and oil for cross contamination.
good luck and welcome
Old 02-08-2007, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whereabouts?

Find out if the timing belt has been done
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Is 160k mi too much for a 2000 A8?

A8's are money pits if you pay to have work done, otherwise they are worthwhile supercars that pay back their owners with unbelievable performance per dollar.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right, the 5V oil cooler is time consuming but not expensive in parts to put right

And there are so far no reports of hunting or thumping transmissions in 2000 and newer cars, though some will lose reverse due to a bad clutch seal deep inside the transmission.

audilvr's summary seems about right.

Tom
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default awesome

I try not to pay to have any work done unless absolutely necessary. I'd much rather get my hands dirty and get to know the car (see changing a wx head).

Thanks for the replies guys, I was a little afraid of the "DO A SEARCH" reaction that seems so common when people ask a stupid question... I'm in MA, the car is in Gloucester. It's white and looks nice from the photos...I'll see if I can get out there next week and let you know what I find.

Thanks again! I was really worried about the transmission, but it sounds like the 2000+ cars have that issue resolved.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wrong. 2000's have fragile trannys too.

but follow the learning and advice from here and you'll hopefully get out alive over the long haul.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Audi A8

I have an A8 so here is my simpleton take.

At 160K lol the timing belt should have been changed twice!!! *giggle

Check for an oil leak on top of the left hand side catalyic converter. If there is an oil slick convering the catalyic converter, they you may look at a 4 dollar seal but the cost of taking off the converter to get to the seal..u may spend upto 400 bucks at the dealer. Maybe 200ish at the local shop if they know how to do it.

Check the transmission..yes 2000 and above dont have the issues that the 1999s and earlier did but the modifications are minimal..the transmissions still do THUMP between 2nd and first gears. Check tranny fluid, find out if transmission has been fixed, replaced etc.

160K on a 2000!!!! WHOA where is car at send me pictures if you have any. I have 107ish on mine now.

Make sure the Xenons still work. if the HID doesnt work, you are looking at about 400-500 bucks for the replacement.

You should obviously drive the car in a. Traffic to see the response of transmission
b. highway to check how it responses to high RPMs.

normally on here you wont hear much issues from 2000s...mostly small things like a noisy airconditioning fan and so on.

As for me...im afraid to keep this car anylonger since i will not be able to afford to change transmissions. CHECK CHECK CHECK...then pray pray pray then once you have finally decided to risk take...go to www.audipages.com

and fall in love with thy creatorrrr...=)
Old 02-09-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Is 160k mi too much for a 2000 A8?

I do not post on here much - but my experience with a 2000 A8L has been extremely satisfying. Bought less than a year ago with 69,000 and now has 90,000

Everything that I have needed help with you can find it on here or AUDIPAGES.COM

Definately check with AUDIPAGES for the A8 buyers checklist.

No major problems here - just routine maintainance of a car with that many years or mileage.

Thermostat, front and rear brake pads, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, power steering fluid flush, fan belt, wiper blades, spark plugs, air filter, underhood cabin air filters, fog light bulbs and both headlight washers. I am ready to fix a differential leak, front suspension rebuild and timing belt change.

I would definately drive the car for awhile especially in Tip mode just to see how everything works and to see if the center differential leaks(that is when mine leaks the most)

Can not stress the point of finding out if timing belt has been changed - along with all tensioners,rollers, and waterpump.

Check for a final drive (center differential that is attached to the end of trans)leak that drips on the catalytic converter.

Check to see if the power steering groans a little after getting warmed up. Fluid should be green not black - special Audi fluid

See if brake fluid is clear or dirty.

Turn headlights on and check to see if headlight washers work - if they do make sure they do not leak all over the ground afterwards and drain the washer fluid resevoir.

Listen for clunks or knocking coming from the front end - will probably need all the front suspension arms replaced along with tie rod ends.

Hope this helps some.