A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 D2 2.5 TDI suddenly won't crank.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 D2 2.5 TDI suddenly won't crank.

Hey guys, thanks for many helpful tips in the past when just browsing this awesome site!

But now I'm in a kind of a pickle I can't sort out, without some expert help.

First of all, I have to ecusee my poor English when it's not my native language.

To the case. I got an Audi A8 D2 chassis wich ran fine until I parked it in my garage to address an absolute failure.
I first checked the fuses and relays to check some points of my list. The night got to me, and I had to call it a day only to find out the car didn't even crank.

The ignition work fine, but the car won't crank in start mode. I even changed the ignition switch. No luck

My first thought was the battery cable connection point on the passenger side wheel, seems corroded but ok. (I fixed that)
Then i jumped the starter and it cranks. But no idling unless I put the ignition in the run position.

I also found out that my wipers, horn, blinkers (hazard's work fine), mirror adjustments (the passenger one tilt's when put in reverse), heat-threads in rear window, seat heater, steering wheel heater or fog lights work.

​​​​​​Both high and low beam lights work though.

Does anyone have a good clue to what this may be?

Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes it could be the transmission is not activating the park or neutral switch or possibly the brake switch.
You can try switching the selector to neutral and and starting there, if that does not work wiggle the gear selector.

The brake switch has two circuits, both can be checked in VCDS, one works the brake lights and the other is related to ABS, cruise, etc. I do not know if starting is affected by these circuits.

Beers,
-Joel.