A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 transmission help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 transmission help!

this is my first car, can somebody tell me exactly where to put the transmission fluid because i can't seem to find it
Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's a pain. But doable.

The transmission is filled from the bottom, not from the engine compartment. Jack the car up on all four corners (or run it up on four ramps, or run it over a Jiffy-Lube-type mechanic pit). In the transmission pan you will see a big Allen-head plug in a recess. The setup is something like this: ___|==|___ , with the horizontal part ___ ___ being the pan bottom, the vertical lines | | being the sides of the recess where the plug goes, and the == being the plug itself. Transmission fluid is supposed to fill the pan to the top of those vertical lines.

So, with the car warmed up and running, remove that large plug. If trans fluid starts running out, you have plenty; put the plug back. If not, start pumping fluid up and over the edge of the lip until it does run out, then run the car through the gears, then add more fluid until it spills out again. Then put the plug back, you're done.

You will hear/read a great deal of talk about what fluids can and cannot be used. Take it all with a grain of salt. The stock advice is to use only the Audi-approved stuff, but there are cheaper substitutes that others have used with good results.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Te Audi approved stuff used to be uncommon semi-synth but is now a pretty typical spec. I have been using Valvoline MaxLife for years, it hits the spec and is probably a lot better fluid that the OEM fill.
Audipages has a lot of great info including a trans fill procedure:
audipages Automatic Transmission

Personally I would not put fluid in unless you knew the valve upgrade has been done, the TransGo 5HP24 valve kit or the oversize replacement valve job. This solves some weird transmission behavior and keeps the trans from breaking itself due to pressure spikes. The valve sticks in a worn bore after a while.

Cheers,
-Joel.