A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ming Blue A8 Part out near Philly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omarcarbomb
I have been meaning to post on here that parting out car was more of a comedy show than a serious $ endavour.

Will flip through the emails to get some of the best.

do you still have the transmission for the a8?

> Yes I do.
> It has less than 30k on a total rebuild.
> It is super smooth.
> Willing to warranty for right price.

And is it an automatic?

Do you have the light over the rear passenger

>Yes I do. Hoe much is it worth to you?

Just curious?

Lots of guys with pre-faclifts not knowing parts don't interchange.

i still have all four doors the fenders the trunk lid.
I even pulled the rear bumper with valance to sell to a guy before he realized it wouldn't fit his 99'

The egine is still in the car intact!
Yes I have had half a dozen dreamers ask me about the engine and the transmission but 6 months later....

mostly just emails and vapors
I'm pretty sure I tried to buy your rear valance, but you wouldn't sell it to me without the bumper. Audi sells it without the bumper, but you wouldn't.

My valance has (had) damage, my bumper is perfect. I'm sure there's someone else that needs a bumper. Bumpers hit walls, valances get snagged on parking curb rebar by valet parkers that think it's cool to back my car all the way up to curb until the tires hit.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valance

what did you end up doing on the valance?

Originally Posted by S8ilver
I'm pretty sure I tried to buy your rear valance, but you wouldn't sell it to me without the bumper. Audi sells it without the bumper, but you wouldn't.

My valance has (had) damage, my bumper is perfect. I'm sure there's someone else that needs a bumper. Bumpers hit walls, valances get snagged on parking curb rebar by valet parkers that think it's cool to back my car all the way up to curb until the tires hit.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

what did you end up doing on the valance?
I repaired mine best I could with some plastic filler that you'd use on skis (P-tex). It looked ok, but couldn't quite get the color right. Then I found an A8 at a junkyard just north of Denver...I offered the guy $50 for it...he had no idea, probably could've got it for $20.

Last edited by S8ilver; 03-14-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks for your honesty

wouldn't you say that story confirms my theory
you fixed it yourslef and bought it on the cheap.
shipping and handling alone of the valance from me to you would have been more than $20

I just dinged my right side fog light and bought a new one.
I have my old one I can use as a spare. I try to keep my car looking factory and clean. I have met a few guys like that while parting car out but also a lot of kids and broke wanna be pimps who really can't afford A8 maintanence who are looking to drive this amazing car without constantly putting money into it. That is just a fantasy and where there fantsay and reality intersects is where the waste of time happens. I will say it again, in the SF bay area there are alot of guys trying have caviar on food stamp tuna finsh budget.

If you see my recent post on my transmission project I'm about to spend $1500 on preventative maintance. Thats more than alot of these a8 drivers are willing to spend to fix their car when the tranny goes out and they just buy a honda. There was a really funny post on who is driving A8's if somebody knows the one I'm talking about please re-post it.

I repaired mine best I could with some plastic filler that you'd use on skis (P-tex). It looked ok, but couldn't quite get the color right. Then I found an A8 at a junkyard just north of Denver...I offered the guy $50 for it...he had no idea, probably could've got it for $20.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

shipping and handling alone of the valance from me to you would have been more than $20
Had you sold him the valence, you would have the 50$ (or more) yourself and it might have saved him the headache of going out and finding it in some junk yard. I don't know about you, but I will gladly pay for convenience and time.

That may work for some parts but for instance, are you willing to pay $400+ a piece (mind you, there are 5 pieces total) for new chrome molding on the bumpers? I certainly won't. (Source: ECStuning)

If you see my recent post on my transmission project I'm about to spend $1500 on preventative maintance. Thats more than alot of these a8 drivers are willing to spend to fix their car when the tranny goes out and they just buy a honda.
For that kind of money you could afford a 01E swap (which I intended to do). Granted, not everyone has the means or the knowledge.

And why should it matter what other people are doing to their cars? Just because their outlook is different than yours doesn't make them wrong and you right. You're willingness to spend more money than others does not make you superior. Why must everyone drive a perfectly manicured A8?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=hutchb2;24419775]Had you sold him the valence, you would have the 50$ (or more) yourself and it might have saved him the headache of going out and finding it in some junk yard. I don't know about you, but I will gladly pay for convenience and time.

If I recall I think I was offered the assembly for $280. I probably would have paid $100 for the valance, but that's not the point. I too will pay for convenience when I'm in a hurry, but for something like that, it wasn't necessary I had it that day and I knew I'd find one in a yard some day. Now, if I needed a sunroof motor and a big rain storm was coming...just kidding, I'd park it in the garage and get on Ebay.

I know this is becoming a bit of a sore subject, but how about everyone just does with their cars as they please and worry about something actually important?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have my old one I can use as a spare. I try to keep my car looking factory and clean. I have met a few guys like that while parting car out but also a lot of kids and broke wanna be pimps who really can't afford A8 maintanence who are looking to drive this amazing car without constantly putting money into it. That is just a fantasy and where there fantsay and reality intersects is where the waste of time happens. I will say it again, in the SF bay area there are alot of guys trying have caviar on food stamp tuna finsh budget.

If you see my recent post on my transmission project I'm about to spend $1500 on preventative maintance. Thats more than alot of these a8 drivers are willing to spend to fix their car when the tranny goes out and they just buy a honda. There was a really funny post on who is driving A8's if somebody knows the one I'm talking about please re-post it.
I couldn't quite tell if you were taking a shot at me (I always give the benefit of the doubt), but I'm no kid sir, and I'm very far from cheap. My point was that you were parting out a car, but wouldn't sell parts, just entire assemblies. I inquired trying to buy your valance, and you wouldn't sell it without the bumper (not even Audi does that). I spend the $ where I see important. If I bought your bumper assembly I'd have your valance on my car and a useless bumper collecting dust in my garage.

My S8 sees 100 miles/month, maybe (I have no work commute). I guarantee it's cleaner and tighter than just about any out there.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think enough has been said on the topic...

WHO NEEDS PARTS?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hutchb2
I think enough has been said on the topic...

WHO NEEDS PARTS?
I'm looking for a rear valance.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm looking for a rear valance.
I'll sell you mine, without the bumper like Audi does.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ming Blue A8 Part out near Philly