A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Audi A8L 4.2L Quattro Front And Rear Breaks *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Audi A8L 4.2L Quattro Front And Rear Breaks *HELP*

I have an 01 A8L with the 323mm rotors in the front and 269mm rotors in the rear. I ordered 4 new break lines, 4 new complete calipers, 4 new rotors, and new pads. All the parts I got from autozone and I got duralast gold parts. I replaced everything and now the front right wheel is smoking if I drive more than 2min. The car is just sitting in my driveway. The rear and front driver side’s all work fine. I did everything without a vagcom. I pulled the front right tire back off the car and bleed it again, ran a whole bottle of dot4 though it to make sure there was no air in the line. I inspected the pads, rotor, and line for anything obviously wrong but I could not see anything. Put it back together and test drive it again still it smokes and gets to hot. I am not sure what’s wrong, should I try pushing the pistons back in and letting them come out on there own while driving? I feel like they are holding the pads on the rotor to tight. But I’m not an expert. Just spent over 1,000 dollars on a complete break job and now I don’t have a car. Any suggestions? I need this car working so I can take my newborn to the doctors wensday and I’m out of ideas. Please help! Call me 443-245-2655 if you need anymore info. Also the front right is the first one I did, I did each tire one at a time.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your first mistake is buying from AutoZone! It sounds like you have a seized caliper. To test to see if that's what is going on, drive your car again to where its smoking again and get it back to your place safely. Then get that side up off the ground but don't take that wheel off. Next grab ahold of the tire and rotate the wheel by hand. If it's very hard to turn, then you have a seized caliper.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure sounds like a stuck caliper to me. I suggest you return it to Autozone. You could take it off and try pushing the piston back in, but there's no guarantee that it won't stick again.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Enterpriz
I have an 01 A8L with the 323mm rotors in the front and 269mm rotors in the rear. I ordered 4 new break lines, 4 new complete calipers, 4 new rotors, and new pads. All the parts I got from autozone and I got duralast gold parts. I replaced everything and now the front right wheel is smoking if I drive more than 2min. The car is just sitting in my driveway. The rear and front driver side’s all work fine. I did everything without a vagcom. I pulled the front right tire back off the car and bleed it again, ran a whole bottle of dot4 though it to make sure there was no air in the line. I inspected the pads, rotor, and line for anything obviously wrong but I could not see anything. Put it back together and test drive it again still it smokes and gets to hot. I am not sure what’s wrong, should I try pushing the pistons back in and letting them come out on there own while driving? I feel like they are holding the pads on the rotor to tight. But I’m not an expert. Just spent over 1,000 dollars on a complete break job and now I don’t have a car. Any suggestions? I need this car working so I can take my newborn to the doctors wensday and I’m out of ideas. Please help! Call me 443-245-2655 if you need anymore info. Also the front right is the first one I did, I did each tire one at a time.
Just curious as to why you ordered the calipers? If the old ones were stuck, did you try and clean and lube them? I'd return the stuff you purchased, get your money back and purchase Stoptech Cryogenic treated discs and whichever low dust pads (I prefer Akebono) you prefer from somewhere like TireRack (plenty of other sources). Your calipers should be fine with a cleaning (unless truly defective), and those discs/pads will make it feel better than new.

I had just this combination on my other car and you couldn't believe the stopping power......

Just a thought.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The reason I ordered all new parts is the front driver side and back passenger side calipers where getting laggy, those 2 with old pads and rotors where heating up more then they should. At 160,000 miles and 19yrs of age I figured might as well replace it all so that way I know it’s all new and I don’t have to worry about it with my new baby girl (first kid) in the car. I ended up having it towed to a mechanic I had no time to waste, the new caliper and break line on the front passenger side wheel where replaced and the car seams to be fine now. I get it back in the morning once they top of the A/C and replace the serpentinte belt. I was going to do that mysekf as I already bought the belt but if it was in the shop already might as well let them deal with it 🤷*♂️ I will post an update once I get the car back and hear the final verdict.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

At 160K the serpentine belt tensioner roller is probably about to fall apart. It can be replaced for $25 with one for a Hyundai 2.7 engine. The idler should also be replaced or repacked with some grease at this point also. Skipping this means the belt falls off at some point and gets shredded. And you are walking.