A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S8 Going to sell the beast, Carbon fiber trim on US car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, at least on a 2001 A8L
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for sharing, and now resharing, your R&D.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two nugget heads interested in Merryland Paulie
Old 03-19-2007, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Having a read now Randy, thanks for the in-depth info and for ***again*** selflessly sharing.

Oh, and sorry, Justy = Scott Justasson.

You may have had too many a giddypassenger out there to keep track of heh heh.

Oh, and alsosorry Mr. "m8bmw" for thread-hijackin' ya!!! D'oh.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ooooooooo... that CF sure would be nice Stephen (a NAME! THANK you!!!). However...

...I swapped my burl out of me UrS6 for CF and I gots to tell you it's sorta a BEOCH of a job. Not at all hard, just very tedious and very time consuming. Esp. the pass side, gots to fiddle with the airbag ignitor and stuff - which is of course not for der squeemish.

And I imagine C4 interior likely easier to finagle than that of the D2. Likely more secret handshakes and whatnot I'd think. Andand there's a bit more of it in a D2, esp. in the more complex area of the lower center console.

I applaud you (loudly) for the thoughtfulness to not squander such coolness and simply let it go with trade, just giving you a heads up. If you do yank it I'd love to jump on it (er that sounds bad), but I'm certain it's too rich for me poorblood (read: out of the el cheapo mod hits the Wifely Radar, which, is neveragoodthing). Dammit. Reality = notmyhappyplace.

Should you not get any decent offers or interest other than the stealer trade, shoot me an email please. I may know of someone interested. Again, good luck Stephen... RS6 - fargin' sneaky bastage... 8-)
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK... just finished all Randy's (great) reading and the suspense was killing me so...

...I just ran outside and performed "da test".

The MC moves visibly, ayup.

Does the block just wedge in there or is it affixed in any manner?

Also, will the block transmit forces to the MC mount points that will overstress them??? Hate to solve one problem only to create another. Though Randy it seems as if you've been running yours for awhile and with many track-o-miles so this likely is an unfounded concern.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 AM
S6A

I'll buy mine and yours if you get them made. p.s. scirocco
Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 AM

Sold, guys, sorry. If I'd foreseen the demand I'd have started a bidding war!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: Installation

The block just wedges snugly in place. Since it's almost impossible to slide it into position from the side, I removed three of four bolts that hold the strut bar in place. Pivot the bar up a bit, slide the block onto the bar, pivot it back in place, and bolt up the bar.

My original version was hand-made from a block of wood and filed carefully to fit snugly in place with minimal stress on the strut bat, M/C, or firewall. The Block certainly puts less stress on the M/C mounting points than you do when you just brake heavily. I was a bit concerned about S8 manufacturing variances and wondered if my block would fit other S8's, but there didn't seem to be any problems.

Yep, I've been running mine for five years (one year on the wood version) and 60k miles on/off track without problems. The Block has been trouble-free and never budged. Needless to say, it's also never been removed.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 AM

I'm in one if they get made. Thanks for sharing the info Randy.

Quick Reply: 2001 S8 Going to sell the beast, Carbon fiber trim on US car