A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S8 trying to bring her back to life

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisorbics
Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Audipages have a write up about it and the bloke who wrote it even had similar sounding issues to yours (intermittent limp mode).
I am going to search for this write up today.
No need to search - I already linked to it on "Audipages" above.
Just click on it!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfrahm
Round (not oval) and 3/4" (not 1"). Do not forget the O ring on the outlet, get that on there early.

After you drain the ATF, there will be a bunch left in the pan so put the drain plug back in and be careful not to slop it all over when you drop the pan. Then you get another dump when you pop the filter off, and then the trans will rain ATF for an hour so keep that in mind.

If you are putting in the TransGo valve, which I recommend unless your trans is already too far gone, you get more ATF dropping out when the lower VB is unbolted and removed. IMO the only things a fluid change might fix are:
Underfilled (leaked?) fluid related issues like slipping or slow changing into 4th
Shudder from TC lockup due to lack of friction modifiers or too much crap in the fluid or something like that.
Wallet too fat
Driveway too clean

-Joel.
The transmission shifts perfectly. I thought that maybe the wiring going to the solenoid packs might have an issue so i was going to change the filter while I was in there.

audipages A8 F125 Transmission Switch Replacement

This is the article about the F125 switch.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I was not having any issues for a while with the car. Every time I start the car I put it in drive and then over to the manual mode. As long as it would display that I was currently in gear #1 it would drive normal. Once in a while it would not change on the display from drive to manual mode. If it did that I would shut the car off and restart it, then it would work fine.

Yesterday and today it has gotten much worse. P0886 code and starts in 3 gear again. Sometimes it will happen in the middle of driving it which it never did. Before if it was good, when I started the car, you could drive it with no issues. now it can happen at anytime.

I have been searching for possible solutions for p0886 and have come up dry. Does this all lead to the original suggestion of the F125 switch?

Also I opened up the ecm and tcm black plastic box and checked all connectors for corrosion and coated everything with electric grease. It didn't help anything. I removed the computers and didn't feel any water in them.

Last edited by chrisorbics; 05-06-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have decided to change the F125 switch. I was wondering where the cheapest place was to order it from?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok I changed the switch and It randomly went into limp mode while sitting at a traffic light. I drove it down the street alittle further to get something to eat. The CEL never came on. I came out less than ten minutes later and it was not in limp mode. Drove fine after.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

My symptoms have changed. Originally the car would go into limp mode when the car was first started and I would restart the car and never have an issue. Now it happens randomly while driving.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got a tcm off ebay $45 and it is good so far.