A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 S8 Won't start.... need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S8 Won't start.... need help

I blame myself because I let it get too low on fuel. The computer said I had 20 miles left so I made one more stop before fueling up. I parked it on a slight incline nose down, and when I climbed back in to leave it wouldn't start.

The car turns over and even fires, but then dies right away like it's out of fuel.

I've searched on here to see several people have similar symptoms, but I can't afford the Easter egg hunt style troubleshooting.

The pump is pumping and working fine. I disconnected the supply to the fuel rail behind the washer fluid tank and have tons of pressure with no air. I had already replaced the filter before checking for pressure at the engine. I could hear the pump and it sounded to be girgling a little as though I still hadn't put enough fuel in. It has approx 9 gallons in it now, however the gauge says it's empty. Could the sending unit be telling the computer that my tank is empty? Would reseting the computer refresh this?

The radio is a refurb with the code written on it in pencil, so I should have everything I need right?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't think the ECU will look at the gas guage and decide to shut off the fuel or spark. Disconencting the battery probably won't change anything.

It is, I suppose, possible that you need more gas in it to prime the scavenge pumps but if that were true you would not have pressure and flow at the fuel rail. How sure are you of that fuel flow and pressure?

It could also be that it never ran out of gas and you instead need to replace the CPS or something like that. Or the ECU got wet. Some other issue totally unrealated to the gas or fuel in the tank.

-Joel.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I didn't measure the pressure.... I don't know how I would. I just watched it flow and made a determination. I suppose I could see how long it takes to fill a gallon. The pressure is determined by the regulator. Without the engine running, there's no vaccum to regulate it. The regulator should just be closed until the engine is running right?

As far as the computer getting wet, that is a possibility. The car has had a drain problem since before I bought it. I've cleaned them several times but there is still debris that seems to clog them.

It was draining fine on the day in question.... I know because I had the transmission hump covers off and it was pooring. I will lift the cover to the comp when I get home to see if there is any moisture inside.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an immobilizer problem. Try a different key.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I tried the battery idea first. I disconnected it when I got home from work last night, and let it sit for about 2 hours. When I reconnected it, as soon as I turned the key on, my gas gauge jumped to nearly full. Then the car started right up. I was so stoked that I didn't have to buy a fuel pump!

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default amen

i also have an 01' S8 and the EXACT same problem.

Disconnected the battery. Hooked it backed up, fired right up.

I didn't question a thing and simply thanked the german car gods for their blessing.

Originally Posted by jerry 1 a b
I tried the battery idea first. I disconnected it when I got home from work last night, and let it sit for about 2 hours. When I reconnected it, as soon as I turned the key on, my gas gauge jumped to nearly full. Then the car started right up. I was so stoked that I didn't have to buy a fuel pump!

Thanks for the advice guys!