A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A8L Transmisson ZF5HP24A rebuild

Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new O-ring installed.

Since this piece has failed on so many gearboxes I asked a tech at ZF if the material it was made of had been changed or improved to possbliy make it more durable. He said no, it hadn't been changed So I guess I'll be waiting for it's failure to happen sometime in the future
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

The old bearing and race. This rides on the tower behind the A-clutch assembly.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

The race had worn significantly compared to new one. It was razor thin. The replacement was $17
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

We had to turn the transmission on the tailshaft to realign the clutch discs
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

The A-housing back in place. We had to gently twist it when the trans was vertical to ensure it was fully seated.

We also used a small round file to align the oil assembly
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

The assembly back in
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sir have ***** of steel! Excellent job and you know these things are $5k to fix.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was in the shop that did my tranny in 2009 today and they mentioned that they did some "upgrades" when re-building the transmission - not sure what they meant but my tranny is still working - apart from the output flange seal that they replaced today, leaking badly for the past year or so.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThaboTheWuff
You sir have ***** of steel! Excellent job and you know these things are $5k to fix.
Hey thanks ThaboTheWuff. That price alone is enough to make me want to do the work myself; I just can't afford to pay it! I'm getting to the point where I simply can't trust that a garage will necessarily follow or even know the exact procedure to maintain said piece of equipment, even when it's as serious an issue as this. I would rather trust a group of fellow enthusiasts who WANT their car to last and are borderline **** w/ their methods of keeping it running instead of a garage whose business to be in business. Plus their are so many different steps and procedures that must be done correctly according to spec. There might be a new mechanic on duty or one having a bad day when I drop off my vehicle who's simply not focused. Do they know what they're doing?

Regarding digging into an auto gearbox, I found a great quote form a guy on a Land Rover forum, he's Bemble on this one and RRPhil on another, seems to know these boxes like the back of his hand. He said

"People are funny about automatic transmissions. They see them as a black box into which no one should dare to delve. In reality, they're a darn sight easier to fix than an engine for example, yet people seem perfectly prepared to strip engines down."

I find that was really my opinion as well, like Pandora's box. But it in my very limited experience it just isn't the case.

All better! New seals around all the output shafts were installed (sorry, forgot to photo). This transmission is going back in
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Truly great work!! And thanks for documenting this for the forum. Looking forward to hearing how the car drives once it's all back together.

How many hours do you estimate putting into this?

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 A8L Transmisson ZF5HP24A rebuild