AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   2002 A8L Transmisson ZF5HP24A rebuild (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/2002-a8l-transmisson-zf5hp24a-rebuild-2858812/)

nossisnave 04-27-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by A 8 (Post 24558821)
I have not asked about the milage yet, 18k miles don't seem that much and I would rather have them commit to 2 yrs without a mileage limitation, I will ask though and post back.
My mechanic says the valves are made out of aluminum and get pretty worn at 190K miles.

I remember when I was checking out whether or not to buy new, rebuilt, used, or DIY l was scared away from rebuilt because there where a lot of exclusions of what was covered even w/ a multi-year warranty. Seemed like l'd be better off just doing it myself; that's why l did.

nossisnave 05-01-2014 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by JAA 4.2 (Post 24558687)
Reverse just failed on my S8 at 155k.

What are you planning to do?

Sc0oT3R88 09-26-2014 01:41 AM

Thanks for the great post nossisnave!
Unfortunately the transmission in my s6 has gone recently (doesn't like 1-4 gears and goes into limp mode) and I expect to find the same problem. To add to this I am in Australia where parts are hard to come by and I will be ordering them from the US and paying postage (yay..). Hopefully I can fix it myself and save money overall.
I also have read Mickey's post on another site and after reading your post I have decided to take action myself. I have had bad experience before with another car that I took to a transmission rebuilder so I am doing it myself.
The engine and transmission are already out but I have noticed that the torque converter is still attached to the flex plate of the engine once I separated the engine and transmission. This usually isnt unusual on other cars but I can not see for the life of me how I am meant to remove the torque converter. I havent been able to find much information on this but what I did find suggested it isnt bolted and it should be on the transmission... :(
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction before I start using brute force...
Cheers!

123quattro 09-26-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nossisnave (Post 24564787)
What are you planning to do?

01E swap.

dan87951 09-28-2014 01:22 PM

Wow, nice work. What did you end up paying for the car? Sucks to buy the car and than soon after replace both the engine and transmission. Hopefully, you got a great deal on the car!

123quattro 09-29-2014 05:47 AM

Are you asking me? If so, the engine in mine is fine. I paid $9k and it has 152k miles on it.

dan87951 09-29-2014 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 123quattro (Post 24610086)
Are you asking me? If so, the engine in mine is fine. I paid $9k and it has 152k miles on it.

My question is directed at the OP. Sorry!

scooterfree62 09-29-2014 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sc0oT3R88 (Post 24609284)
Unfortunately the transmission in my s6 has gone recently (doesn't like 1-4 gears and goes into limp mode) and I expect to find the same problem. To add to this I am in Australia where parts are hard to come by and I will be ordering them from the US and paying postage (yay..). Hopefully I can fix it myself and save money overall.
I also have read Mickey's post on another site and after reading your post I have decided to take action myself. I have had bad experience before with another car that I took to a transmission rebuilder so I am doing it myself.
The engine and transmission are already out but I have noticed that the torque converter is still attached to the flex plate of the engine once I separated the engine and transmission. This usually isnt unusual on other cars but I can not see for the life of me how I am meant to remove the torque converter. I havent been able to find much information on this but what I did find suggested it isnt bolted and it should be on the transmission... :(
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction before I start using brute force...
Cheers!

Take the starter out and you can get to the converter bolts. hopefully you didn't damage the trans oil pump.

nossisnave 10-09-2014 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by dan87951 (Post 24609948)
Wow, nice work. What did you end up paying for the car? Sucks to buy the car and than soon after replace both the engine and transmission. Hopefully, you got a great deal on the car!

Thanks. I'm not sure if $5k is a deal requiring the work that it needed, but it did build some character lol.

nossisnave 10-09-2014 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sc0oT3R88 (Post 24609284)
Cheers!

Hey thanks Sc0oT3R, I'm indebted to these forums myself for the suff they've helped me resolve. Take your time, take a A LOT of pics and you'll do fine. Scooterfree62 is right, starter must come out, then you can access the bolts in the TC. I believe there are 3. When putting it back together ensure the TC is fully reseated at the original depth, i.e. don't crush it when tightening down the bolts. I apologize for not replying sooner, hope the project is coming along well. When the car is back on the road you'll have a feeling of overcoming a huge obstacle.