A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 D2 4.2 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 D2 4.2 Engine

Hi. I am a newbie and I am hoping for info on the 02 D2. I am looking to buy one, $7k, 107,000 miles. No records. Suggestions on how reliable it is and yays and nays on if it is a good buy or not would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bksa77
Hi. I am a newbie and I am hoping for info on the 02 D2. I am looking to buy one, $7k, 107,000 miles. No records. Suggestions on how reliable it is and yays and nays on if it is a good buy or not would be appreciated.

Thanks.
As for value, with no major issues (approximate) >>>

http://www.kbb.com/audi/a8/2002-audi...=107000#survey

Major issue to look for would be trans...drive it...look for any "bucking" (rpm up and down) at constant light throttle at mid speeds (30-60mph) or any odd shifting behavior...shutter while accelerating, hard up shifts or downshifts, slow to go in gear from stop (more than one second in reverse or drive).

Check engine light? ...get a free code scan or hook to VagCom for other codes.

At that mileage without records, count on a timing belt change...DIY just a few hundred $$ (or less)...dealer or garage $1500-over $2000) <<< fact of life for timing belt engine owners.

Although I find them quite dependable, other than a rep for trans problems at higher mileage (130-185K miles or higher...results vary widely, some well over 200K), in 9 years mine has been quite dependable and minimum $$ outlay...but I do ALL my own tooling.

My standard response, though...and the way I feel: One buys a D2 (totally unique among all cars) because one wants a D2...NOT because of where it might rank in dependability. Drive one...if that doesn't explain it all, look for something else.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.
Hi, I'm Eric, and I'm also a newbie. I've owned my '00 A8L for about a month and a half, and I've put just under 3K miles on my new-to-me Audi, and I love it. I paid a little more for mine that the one you are looking at, but mine had only 71K miles on it as was pretty clean. IMO, considering you will most likely have to put a timing belt on it, I'd shoot for at least $750 or more under the current price.

As for the car, I researched mine for over a month on this and several other sites. I read all kinds of reviews (and not just on the older A8's) and poured over many posts of problems, things to look for, etc. etc. Here's a good start if you haven't already found it: http://www.audipages.com/usedA8.html

For the most part, mine checked out pretty well. The dealer I bought it from replaced a couple of items (fog light, missing fog light grille, sunroof switch) but I have a number of little things to fix. Nothing major, but I want everything to work.

For example, the rear window shade needs new sliders ($50, ebay); the headrests don't work (just labor here for the most part); I'm getting some water ingress in the center console A/C duct (more labor, more web searching); need to polish the existing fog lamp (to match the new one); need to get the air intake flaps working (mostly labor there). You get the idea. It's a complex car so little things are bound to pop up here and there. Oh, my cigarette lighters don't work, probably related to the leak issue and may just be a fuse.

None of these things would have deterred me from buying the car, it's just so much fun. I'm so spoiled now, when it comes time for a replacement (or when I can afford the upgrade) only another A8L will do. I'm ruined.

Also, forgot to mention that the dealer sent it off to a shop that handles their German cars to get all the fluids changed - including transmission and transaxle fluids. IIWY that would also be at the top of your list of things to do if you get it, and included in your bargaining.

All the best,

Eric
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you. It was a gorgeous drive. unlike any car I have been in. I just got concerned about the cost of ownership. I Might have to wait a bit to own that driving experience.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. It was a gorgeous drive. unlike any car I have been in. I just got concerned about the cost of ownership. I Might have to wait a bit to own that driving experience.
Glad you enjoyed; I was a little concerned also but I know some mech's (one who works on Audi's) so I think I'll be Ok; with any late model car the labor on anything isn't going to be much different (if you go to an indie shop). I will have to start saving for that timing belt change; I haven't the time, patience or facility to take on that project. I'll let an expert do it right for me.

Raz
Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep,drive and style made it for me, Im on my second one since bad decisions and a crazy ex got my first one, and I did pay more than what I should for mine now but it was one of those "I want it and I want it now!" the moment I laid eyes on it... yeah Im ruined also Lol!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ever Toy
... Im on my second one since bad decisions and a crazy ex got my first one...
crazy ex? Isn't that redundant?

My ex got damn near everything else, I kept the Audi. I'm still happy. She still isn't.

Drive what you love.