A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 S8 New owner

Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S8 New owner

Sorry if this is a usual annoying thread, but I just Purchased a 2002 Audi S8. I LOVE THE CAR. Sorted out a few typical problem, Thermostat, Plugged Drains and such. ANYWAY, I bought the car with 125K on it, Timing belt and works were done, water pump is new, and I just fixed an over heating problem which turned out to be a bad thermostat (great placement Audi). Was just curious what else I should look into. Im the third owner, and Im pretty sure im the only one who really appreciates it seeing as the guy sold it to me still covered with bird poop.

Other problems still remaining:
-Radio is Iffy, sometimes it will just give out static, and sometimes it works fine. (common?)
-Just a question but do the rear seats go down?
-Navigation says incert CD, found the reader in the back, anyone know where to get the CD's?
-Last, Im not having any problems yet, but What are some steps to be sure I keep the Transmission in good shape?

Thanks for any help, This car is Amazingly better then my old A4 and I wanna keep it around.

PS I almost always do my own work so if you have DIY's please post them
Attached Images    
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was given non of the books that normally come with these cars when you buy them, so thats why im just shooting questions in the dark like "do the seats go down." ha ha if they do im sure its automatic as with everything in this car ha ha
Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"-Radio is Iffy, sometimes it will just give out static, and sometimes it works fine. (common?)"

Check all connections: Amp in trunk behind/under nav unit...radio will pull out with standard radio removal keys.

If it's the head unit, they are amazingly cheap to replace >>>

http://www.europaparts.com/audi-a8-s...d0035195j.html

"-Just a question but do the rear seats go down?"

Nope, sorry...solid metal wall behind em...all part of the structural heft and the arrogance of the D2

"-Navigation says incert CD, found the reader in the back, anyone know where to get the CD's?"

Large set of CD's (9 or 10?)...Discontinued and never updated past 2003...you might find em new for a small fortune (order from Audi or other supplier)...cheaper to buy a new add on unit (Tom Tom, Garmin, etc) that will work much better. The OEM unit is very tedious to use and a small too-simple display between speed and tach. I've seen a lot used CD's on ebay for $30-50 each.

"-Last, Im not having any problems yet, but What are some steps to be sure I keep the Transmission in good shape?"

At that mileage, if it's working fine, DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! ...say only nice things about it and try not to think about it

Another common problem is the output flange shaft seal where the central drive shaft connect to the rear of the transaxle...I've replaced mine twice. If you smell burning *** (gear oil) when you get out of the car, look at your left cat to see if oil is on it and smoking. >>

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...placement.html

If you are a DIYer (I am...always) do yourself a favor and invest in this...your tool box would be sadly lacking without it >>>
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Bent...Manual/ES6279/

Even with online tutorials, the Bentley (or equivalent) will save headaches and destroyed parts.

VERY helpful D2 sites >>>

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles.html

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/15068.phtml
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice S8!

That is pretty impressive mileage on the transmission. I wonder if a former owner had it serviced, or rebuilt?

I'd change out the fluids in your differentials, but as Silver noted, leave the transmission fluid alone if it's original, since flushing it out might remove stuff in the fluid that's allowing it to still work fine. (Sounds weird, but it's true.)

I had the local AAMCO transmisison shop do mine with their "shop" synthetic fluid, but it only had 75k on it. So far, it works great. The fluid that came out was very clean however, and the pan was new, so my transmission had been worked on clearly. (The engine oil pan was new, as were the cats/pipes, and my car shows it was hit into a curb or ground, so they replaced these items from crash damage.)

While there, I had them drain and re-fill the front/center and rear diff's with their house/shop synthetic gear oil too, and it's worked great.

As for the nav, as noted, just buy a Garmin.

And on the radio, I went with a new Double DIN unit from Kenwood, and can't be happier. (It took an A6 dash kit, some sanding with a belt sander to make it fit, and custom work with harness/plug adapters, and a 4 point RCA ground loop isolator to stop the thump when the amp's turn on and off, but it gave me full bluetooth phone, iPod etc.)

The stock nav is a joke, and one of these days I need to take the CD changer and nav boxes out of the trunk, since I'm just hauling around stuff that does nothing anymore back there.

I'd actually like to remove the stock nav buttons/controls and get back one more cup holder.... (But I know there are some functions that the stock nav controls do right? I never use them however.)

The Kenwood unit has a Garmin smart phone app that for 100.00 you can display the maps on the unit, and it bluetooth hooks up to your phone, so you have route guideance etc right over the stereo.

I don't use that, I just use a 120.00 garmin that I have used for years.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

125K "impressive" for a facelift transmission?!

Not unusual at all. You only hear about the failures online, which doesn't come anywhere close to all the D2's out there.

I'm at 122K with NO issues and feel VERY confident that I have a long way to go.

The vast majority of "reported" (only bad news is reported) failures in FL D2 transmissions has been from 150-185K...and plenty of success stories beyond that.
Pre-facelifts (99 and earlier) seemed to have been more prone to earlier failure and early (but not disabling) mostly "thumping" problems.

Don't scare to poor guy like that
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ha ha im not scared, been working on Audis since I was 9. (replacing cats on my dads old audi 90) Anyway, thanks for all the great info.

I have Vag-com and (forgive my spelling) "Elsa-win". Elsa-win has break downs of my car, but is that similar to the book you posted silverd2? Ill probably still get the book though.

Again thanks, cars probably the best money Ive ever spent.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

At highway speeds 70+ I get a slight vibration that comes and goes, would that have anything to do with the central drive axel, or should i just be looking for off balanced tires ha ha our Suburban had a nasty vibration and then the drive shaft fell off LMAO anyway so i was wondering if this slight vibration might have something to do with that, haven't gotten under her yet to see if anything seems amiss. but i will this weekend
Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Avant1522
Ha ha im not scared, been working on Audis since I was 9. (replacing cats on my dads old audi 90) Anyway, thanks for all the great info.

I have Vag-com and (forgive my spelling) "Elsa-win". Elsa-win has break downs of my car, but is that similar to the book you posted silverd2? Ill probably still get the book though.

Again thanks, cars probably the best money Ive ever spent.
Good for you

Elsa has just about the same info as Bentley...they both get it straight from Audi. I've never used Elsa, but occasionally hear about info presented in a less thorough step-by-step manner.
I've heard the same complaint about Bentley from some, but I've used Bentley manuals exclusive on all past Vw's and Audi's and only found a minor misprint here and there that made no difference in final repair.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Avant1522
At highway speeds 70+ I get a slight vibration that comes and goes, would that have anything to do with the central drive axel, or should i just be looking for off balanced tires ha ha our Suburban had a nasty vibration and then the drive shaft fell off LMAO anyway so i was wondering if this slight vibration might have something to do with that, haven't gotten under her yet to see if anything seems amiss. but i will this weekend
I'd start by assuming it's tires, until you get to know the car better and maybe rotate them to maybe isolate the vibration.

The central drive-shaft is a 2 piece with a bearing and u-joint in the middle and regular CV joints at each. It's possible, but they are not prone to failure.
But of course, drive-shafts are one of the few components that are totally vehicle speed sensitive, rather than gear or rpm. The differentials are pretty much bullet proof, other than occasional seal failures (esp middle one) and would only make noise (vibration) if totally dry, which would be almost impossible...even with failed seals, thanks to their placement, the keep enough oil in em to keep it splashed on the gears.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As others have stated definitely don't touch the transmission unless you have records proving its been serviced in the past. Looks like a nice car, love the color combo!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 S8 New owner