AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/)
-   -   2004 A8L Suspension (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d2-platform-discussion-8/2004-a8l-suspension-1738264/)

cohot 08-27-2003 06:25 PM

2004 A8L Suspension

Ordered the car, waited 5 months, shelled out a bit of dough, drove it for a weekend, and the "Adaptive Suspension" system is so f+++ed up that it shifts itself into "jacking" mode at all speed, including at 80 mph, randomly. Then the dealer has no clue how to fix it, no way to get info from Audi ("the line was busy"), no parts, and they offer me a ****box VW (aka A4) to drive for a few days til they can figure it out. The resolution: they are taking this piece of crap back and refunding my money so I can buy a real car. A frightening 400 miles in an $80,000 Volkswagen. Never again.

BackToBasics 08-27-2003 06:35 PM

Re: 2004 A8L Suspension

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Completely understand your frustration when you buy a car at this price point. A bit overkill in my opinion to call the entire model a piece of crap when you had a near-launch car with ONE problem. Admittedly your dealer and AoA apparently didn't handle this well, but (and I don't mean this in a demeaning way) you're probably better off buying something else if one problem with a brand new, first year car causes you to consider the whole thing a piece of crap.

Good luck with whatever you end up buying. You'll be missing out on an otherwise spectacular car.

WasabiAudi2 08-27-2003 06:38 PM

God how I hate people that...

think ,just becuase they got 1 bad car out a bundle of good cars, that car represents the whole line. You just got unlucky. Why don't you go back to your ****box called a Bimmer (and have your ignition and electricity just die on you) or a Merc ( where the parts litteraly fall off into your lap). Just be glad Audi didn't take it to BMW's and Mercede's level of crap and it was just the suspension going up!

cohot 08-27-2003 06:47 PM

Re: God how I hate people that...

I have owned 5 Mercs, 5 BMWs, all new, and have never had this kind of problem or response. I have owned the Japanese "lux" cars as well, but they are too boring to waste time in. THis VW product is a beautiful machine, and I am sorely disappointed that I won't be able to enjoy it for fear that it will kill me. Maybe, after they debug for a couple of years and I survive by driving one of my other cars, I'll be able to enjoy it. For now, I'm scared to death and I caution you to watch the suspension on yours.

GSR 08-27-2003 06:50 PM

That's really too bad. If you think you might change your mind, you might call Audi directly (try 866-892-2834 ext 43477 to speak with an Audi Advocate). The problem with the Adaptive Suspension is the first like that that I've seen on this forum, and your experience with the dealer is also not common. It really is a wonderful car, and I've really found the Adaptive Suspension feature quite useful in a number of ways. If you don't change your mind, best of luck with whatever you drive.

cohot 08-27-2003 06:57 PM

Thank you. I will call them to see if they can resolve this tomorrow. When I bought a new Japanese lux car and had a problem, they were at my house in 30 minutes with a technician and a loaner car. With Audi, it has been a different experience. And for those of you who have A8L's and love them, that's great. I may have been dealt a bad hand, but a good dealer and tech support can fix that. Audi didn't seem to offer that this week.

greenie 08-27-2003 07:41 PM

IMHO, if they found you a "newer" 04 A8L it probably would function perfectly.

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre en route

RCBENZ2 08-27-2003 07:42 PM

Jacking Mode at random. Sounds scary! Sensor is bonkers!

Jacking mode is pretty high up isn't it? Must be something at 80 miles per hour or during a fast, sharp turn on a dark, wet road. How many times did that happen to you?

RCBENZ2 08-27-2003 07:44 PM

What is the last serial number of the "launch cars"?

So I can avoid one!

greenie 08-27-2003 07:55 PM

Re: God how I hate people that...

Its ashame, I guess, that this particular problem has soured you on the A8L. I ordered mine on June 23rd and since then have seen a few posters legitimately complain of malfunctions especially with the so-called launch cars. I would start to sweat under the pits everytime I read a new post. But then, like magic, most of the issues were resolved and the post-launch cars became the automibiles I had hoped that they would be. Your comment about "fear that it might kill me", aside from being a bit extreme IMHO, is rather ironic seeing that this 04 A8L actually may have saved a posters life in the Southwest a few weeks ago. Audi practically stood on its head to get the driver back home and get his car repaired. My job is not to convince you to stay with Audi. My life will not change either way. Yours might!!

greenie

04 A8L silver/sabre en route