A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems

My 2004 Audi A8L is now on its 10th consecutive day in the shop.

I have had nothing but trouble from this car since it was delivered on 6/10/03. The dealer and the area rep claim that most of these cars work fine etc.

Despite repeated requests to terminate the lease on this vehicle, I am getting nowhere. The area rep claims he "Can't reach anyone in Senior Management" since we first spoke on 7/24/03. I find this amazing.

Does anyone else have a 2004 A8L that's suffering multiple, bizarre failures such as:

windshield washer system coming on and refusing to shut off?

tire-pressure monitoring sending false warnings that one or more tires are flat?

trunk refusing to unlock with the remote?

headlamps remaining on when car is turned off (when using "automatic" setting)?

failures associated with the suspension system?

Brake failure warning indications?

Eager to see if this forum will connect me with other A8 owners who have similar "issues" and "concerns".
Old 07-26-2003, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems

Welcome to the 04 A8L!! It has been pretty apparent that some the launch vehicles have software problems that include some of the areas that you mention. There are a few posters here that have relatively "minor" glitches that seem to have been worked out. There is/was one poster that actually turned his car back to Audi, after they wanted to take it back to Germany, and got an RS6. I have a car on order that is due in late Aug. and I go back and forth between absolute anticipation of a great car to extending my Acura RL lease another 2 years JUST IN CASE. The just in case means a few more posts like yours and I will wait at least 1 year before I make the move to Audi(this will be my first). The key here is how AoA and your dealer attempt to "make you whole". 30 days in the shop or 4 attempts to repair the same problem gives you eligibility for the lemon law in most states. "Collateral exchange" is the term you want to throw out to them once all reasonable avenues have been exhausted. The absolute best approach is to work with the dealer and AoA as much as you can. They probably are as frustrated as you, considering the bad press this is going to give the car, a car by the way, that was released for sale way before it should have been. I wish you great luck and stay on board and let us know what is happening.

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber 19" wheels Aug. del maybe!!
Old 07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ah, the wonderful world of SOFTWARE!!

greenie
Old 07-26-2003, 09:27 AM

I like the saying I have heard and used many times as a software developer:

"Software is Hard."

Sounds like the A8 was released before adequate testing was done. Is there going to be an easy way to upgrade the software in the future?
Old 07-26-2003, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

After the launch "issues", evidentally Audi is/has worked on software updates to retrofit the early models. We`ll see as they say! I didnt care for the dealer telling the buyer that "most of the cars are working fine".(I believe that is what they said). It doesnt matter what OTHER cars are doing. If they cant get this one right, they just bought themselves another 04 A8L to take with them to Germany!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2003, 09:55 AM

Watch out! Best to cancel that order.

You will really love having the windshield washer/wipers come on at some random time, dumping a gallon of liquid all over your car at high pressure (this is really fun if you have the sunroof open) and then have the wipers refuse to shut down so they scrape back-and-forth across the windshield while you are trying to drive the car. Oh boy! If it happens at night on a demanding highway (you know, the kind of road they show you happily "conquering" in TV commercials) you could experience a test of the vehicle's crashworthiness.

You will certainly have a test of Audi of America's bad attitude. Here I sit driving a loaner car (A6) for a week-and-a-half now while paying for an A8. Nice deal...for Audi. The notion that the Florida area representative can't get through to anyone at "Corporate" is just laughable.

As far as I can tell, they are just "running the clock" on me trying to wear me down while they "fix" my car. But 6 weeks of owning this car I have put less than 500 miles on it almost all of which was driving to the selling dealer for "service."

Owner of defective 2004 Audi A8L(emon)
Old 07-26-2003, 09:58 AM

Dealer claims to have "sold and delivered" 6-8 of these cars (the number varies but every time I speak to my salesperson he claims to have "just" sold another one).

Odd, I never see any on the road here. I suppose they are all in "breakdown mode."
Old 07-26-2003, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is quite possible that the units sold in July are less "troublesome". I am in the Phila. are and have seen only one. It sounds as though you got one of the first cars. Mercedes is having the same problem with their E-class. I almost purchased one of those until a Mercedes mechanic told me that if I didnt mind "taking a chance" I would probably enjoy the car!! Can you imagine??

greenie
Old 07-26-2003, 10:22 AM

My problems are very small. Overall the car is terrific. I was one of the first to take delivery in the country I believe (June 3rd.), and with the exception of some annoying headlight and Onstar problems, all is well.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was waiting for this post! Thanks helper!

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber 19" wheels Aug. del.

Quick Reply: 2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems