A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We should be to the point where software updates ...

and bug fixes are handled similar to PC software updates via the Internet. Go in for any service, the car gets connected to a tech's laptop, and if any software updates are available, they're automatically installed.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I wouldn't mess with a car that is working

I would not be uploading new updates unless there was a very good reason on a car where everything works.

Once it's set, no reason to change it.

pw
Old 07-26-2003, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems

This certainly sounds as if you MAY be a candidate for your states lemon law, at some point. Where do you live? If you need assistance, p;ease let me know!

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber 19" wheels Aug. del.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Geezuz, wow that sounds utterly frustrating.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Except it may be working because the bug,

(or feature, as Microsoft calls it) hasn't yet been discovered by the owner.

IMHO -- With an almost unlimited combination of user and sensor inputs, if Audi knows of a software problem, fix at at the first opportunity ... whether the current owner has discovered the problem yet or not.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Very few problems with mine...

I did have the headlight range sensor go bad, but the dealer had one in stock and had the car fixed quickly.

I'm not very pleased with the ventilated seats, but the dealer says there isn't anything wrong with them. At least he says they are working, I can't feel anything. I just got a letter from my "A8 Owner Advocate". I may give her a call.

One funny problem that hasn't repeated itself: I muted the stereo and made a phone call with the integrated phone. While I was talking, the stereo turned on and the MMI console popped up. Then it went down and the stereo turned off again. Then it popped up. Then it went down. Then it went up. You get the idea. I thought it was pretty funny but the person I called thought I was rude for turning the stereo on and off...
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you don't feel you're getting anywhere through the dealer maybe you could try calling AoA client relations (800-822-2834). They'll open a case and are supposed to contact he dealer regarding your problem. I'm sure they'll find someone in senior management for you!

BTW, are you dealing with The Collection or Prestige?

GL!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:47 AM

Prestige. I have noreason to think the Collection would have handled this differently.

Of course I have contact Audi of America, gone as far as the area rep, Mr. Ron Hankley.

After car down for two weeks, the reply by Mr. Hankley was to tell me that I had no problem, they would fix this junker and that Audidid not feel that I was entitled to any further action.

On 7/29/03 I received a call from Sabrina Burrow, Service Consultant at Prestige Imports in North Miami, Florida (the selling dealer). She said car was being made ready for pickup later today.

I asked her about the repair to the headlight leveling sensor performed on 7/17/03-7/18/03. I asked whether only one sensor was replaced or whether both sensors were replaced. She replied that only the part that had actually failed was replaced.

I replied to her that on 7/24/03, in a telephone conversation with Mr. Ron Hankley, Audi area representative, he informed me that Audi had determined that these sensors were defective in manufacture and that Audi was replacing them on all new vehicles as the cars were received at the ports of entry.

Ms. Burrow responded that Prestige Imports had no authority from Audi to replace any parts other than those which actually failed in service and could not make replacement of the other sensor as they had received no directive to this effect from Audi of America.

Therefore, Audi of America and Prestige Imports are knowingly returning the vehicle to me with a part known to be likely be defective, even after one of them failed on my vehicle.

I have asked Senior Management at Prestige Imports for any assistance they can offer with Audi ofAmerica but so far to no purpose.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Very few problems with mine...

Oh good, something else for me to look forward to with my defective 2004 Audi A8 L(emon)!

As for you, wait until the washer/wipers go off on you without warning. Be careful about opening your sunroof!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just because you have had this many problems with your new A8L

does not mean everyone will. There are people who will have problems with their new A8L. And there are many who won't. The latter will hugely outweigh the former. Just like BMW, Mercedes and most other European imports. I am beginning to think that you are severly judgmental regarding the new A8L.

Quick Reply: 2004 Audi A8 Reliability problems