A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Audi A8L crank but won’t start after jump start battery

Old 07-05-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Audi A8L crank but won’t start after jump start battery

Hi I’m new to this forum and I been reading some of the posts and seems like everyone here are very helpful. I have an 2006 Audi A8L with about 166k miles on it. It’s been sitting a few months and when I decided to get it up and running again, the battery is dead so I jump stared with another car and it started but the battery that was fine when I parked it, wouldn’t hold a charge after a day or so but it was a good battery before parking it. After few days later I jump start it again and ran fine. About the third time I jump started it, it would crank but won’t start. Not even trying to start. Seems like it’s not getting fuel or spark. Everything was fine before that. I’m thinking the fuel
pump but I can’t see it going bad for no reason. Also someone mention it could be the crank sensor and it could of shorted out from all the jump start? Can anyone help? Thanks. X
Old 07-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

"A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002"
Old 07-06-2019, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

You'll get better info if you post in the correct forum but it's basic basic troubleshooting you need. Jump starting is hard on cars and can damage the electronics.

1 - Make sure the battery is good and charged
2 - When cranking, observe the tachometer to see if it registers any RPM
2a - if not, there is no crank signal or no ECU to read the crank signal
2b - if it is reading, you probably have spark
3 - If you have a tach signal, try shooting some starting fluid in to see if it'll catch with some fuel
3a - On a D2 this is easy to do via one of the vacuum lines for the fuel pressure regulator or the like.

Also scan for codes, if you do not have a code scanner you need one to live with an old Audi. The Torque app would also give you a lot of info.
The D2s have issues with the electronics getting wet if the cowl drains are plugged, no idea about the D3.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the reply jfrahm

Originally Posted by jfrahm
You'll get better info if you post in the correct forum but it's basic basic troubleshooting you need. Jump starting is hard on cars and can damage the electronics.

1 - Make sure the battery is good and charged
2 - When cranking, observe the tachometer to see if it registers any RPM
2a - if not, there is no crank signal or no ECU to read the crank signal
2b - if it is reading, you probably have spark
3 - If you have a tach signal, try shooting some starting fluid in to see if it'll catch with some fuel
3a - On a D2 this is easy to do via one of the vacuum lines for the fuel pressure regulator or the like.

Also scan for codes, if you do not have a code scanner you need one to live with an old Audi. The Torque app would also give you a lot of info.
The D2s have issues with the electronics getting wet if the cowl drains are plugged, no idea about the D3.
I wasnt sure where to post but I will make sure I post in that section for troubleshooting next time thanks! I really appreciate your insight, I haven't checked the tach when trying to crank, I didn't know the tach was suppose to move when cranking that why I never looked. I'll make sure I look when I try to crank it again today and let you know. The battery was totally dead when I jumped started it. I had to hunt start ut lime 3 times after that, I guess the electronics didn't like that. If it moves then I'll try to spray some starting fluid in the throttle body. Hopefully it's not the fuel pump. Thanks again!