A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5hp24A preventative / planned maintenance advice

Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, still getting this sorted out, but I somehow forgot to order "everything" I need for the transmission work; gasket, filter and the infamous o-ring. I forgot to get the damned o-ring! Argh! I am definitely not using the old one, and not wanting to assume the 'ol "close-enough" routine is going to work in my cabinet of o-rings I do have...I figured it would be worth another day's wait and get the right one...Only cost $2 from Audi but damn, this little piece could be a determent if not replaced with new...so, another day and I hope to share my experience...
Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Filter O ring? I have never seen a filter that did not come with one however re-using the old one should be OK.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welp...I suppose I should've listened more closely and not ASSume things...Whenever anyone chooses the upgraded VB...one does NOT need a TransGo kit...those kits are ONLY good for OEM VBs that have not been bored out...that being said...after many error codes for wrong gear ratios, the feeling like a truck rear ended me when shifting into gear and only being able to drive roughly 10mph, it was figured out that the TransGo needed to be taken out of the equation...now it all works the way it's supposed...neat.

I got got a new radiator and the VB installed (twice...er...paid twice for the job) and it came to about $1882....I hope I'm done for a while! Sheesh!

On a good note, the car drives better...I really don't think it's a "placebo effect" as the shifts are more noticeably crisp...not sure if that is the right word...I no longer see the shift flares I had previously and I'm hoping (thus far anyways) I have eliminated the slow/laggy acceleration I had before...I'll keep monitoring the driving experience and update this thread...

On a side-note, I have a good condition OEM Valve-body with a TransGo kit available if anyone is needing one...

Last edited by SC_09iduA; 01-17-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Interesting, I got a new bare casting and the TransGo valve fit great. Maybe the "upgraded" one you bought was actually modified/rebuilt by Eriksson. Maybe it was an used one reamed oversize. I think it'd be obvious that the transgo was not fitting tight enough though as it's a very snug fit in an unmodified casting, the instructions are to freeze it and use O rings to hold the fiber seals in during installation.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

It was a misunderstanding on my part...the VB indeed was built by Erikson and was reamed..The TransGo did fit in, but was tighter then one would assume in a reamed version...regardless, it's fixed and using the upgraded piston and spring now that comes with the reamed VB by Erikson...

Last edited by SC_09iduA; 01-18-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_09iduA
Thanks for the advice. I purchased an assembled upgraded VB from Nat. It cost me $215 shipped and without looking "into" the actual VB, it appears to be freshened up and ready to install...I'm getting it thrown in today and have the TransGo to put in too but I'm still on the fence for if installing that too is overkill and just a waste of money...no matter what, I'm not sending it back (the TransGo) so I might as well install it. Isn't the TransGo a better material then the OE "plastic" or composite piston? Nat says the TransGo products are well made and do/can help but for my application it's overkill...I might just throw it in and see what happens. As far as durability of them, I had one in my LBZ Duramax and it greatly improved the shift feel (more crisp) and supposedly takes the abuse better. I had it installed for about 30k miles before I sold the truck so as far as my personal experience on its durability, I cannot state anything...

Ready for the "upgrade!"

Thats almost exactly what I need in my 2002 S8 do you have links for these ?
I’d love to “copy” you’re purchase and hopefully get similar results !
Old 05-09-2019, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a side-note, I have a good condition OEM Valve-body with a TransGo kit available if anyone is needing one...[/QUOTE]

I could sure use that!