A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5hp24A preventative / planned maintenance advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Did you get an assembled one or a bare casting? I bought the casting and put the TransGo valve into it, I like the fiber seals and feel they will greatly mitigate VB wear.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a rebuilt valve body that used new housings and an "updated pressure valve section". I didn't disassemble the valve body to see exactly what that meant.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I posted earlier, I have a new lower front valve body casting assembled for me by Nat Wentworth (Eriksson industries) and I am intending to fit it in the summer as is without the transco upgrade. Its difficult to know what is the best way to go with this really but my personal thoughts are that the zf valve (upgraded type) should be good for at least 60k mls or so. Even if its no better than the earlier version. That's many years of millage for me personally.

The transco is what I would have gone for if re-useing a used valve body. I still don't know how the transco stands up in a long term test though.

Anyone got any long term moonship mileage experience of the transco?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I purchased an assembled upgraded VB from Nat. It cost me $215 shipped and without looking "into" the actual VB, it appears to be freshened up and ready to install...I'm getting it thrown in today and have the TransGo to put in too but I'm still on the fence for if installing that too is overkill and just a waste of money...no matter what, I'm not sending it back (the TransGo) so I might as well install it. Isn't the TransGo a better material then the OE "plastic" or composite piston? Nat says the TransGo products are well made and do/can help but for my application it's overkill...I might just throw it in and see what happens. As far as durability of them, I had one in my LBZ Duramax and it greatly improved the shift feel (more crisp) and supposedly takes the abuse better. I had it installed for about 30k miles before I sold the truck so as far as my personal experience on its durability, I cannot state anything...

Ready for the "upgrade!"
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default PFA

Here's the peach the VB is going into...I'm just under 130k miles and have zero issues with the transmission...I want to try to keep it that way is the reasoning behind the VB and TransGo upgrades...The Avus wheels are strictly the "winter-mode" specials...

Last edited by SC_09iduA; 01-08-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: happiness
Old 01-08-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The OE material for the original valve piston (and also Transgo piston) is anodized aluminum, not plastic. These anodized aluminum pistons are pretty bullet-proof as far as wear. The wear occurs in the piston bores of the housings, which are just plain aluminum (not anodized).
Old 01-08-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

[Edit I thought these valves were steel but they are not, or at least the OEM one is not, just checked] The TransGo valve rides to some extent on two fiber seals which may reduce aluminum contact and help hold oil to keep the bore from wearing as badly. More support on the spring end also. It comes with a different spring but I do not know if that changes the line pressure or just matches the OEM in a shorter package:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...psvsrbncqa.jpg

If it were me I'd install the TransGo. Absolutely I would not install the old ZF part but I suppose if I had the new loaded VB I'd look at the upgraded ZF valve and at least have a think on it but I doubt it's that much different. Either should get you 60K down the road and maybe to the point where the clutches are shot so maybe it does not matter.

Last edited by jfrahm; 01-08-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definately flush out the trans oil cooler lot's of fines hanging out in there, I used a steam cleaner wand and lot's of brake cleaner got loads of grit out.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are my thoughts also really. 60k is almost 10years millage for me. Fuel prices are to high here in the UK to run one of these car's as a daily driver, for me anyhow. I suspect something else serious would have gone wrong with the gearbox or car in general within that time. I hope I'm wrong.

what would be interesting is to see if you notice any driveability improvements after fitting the Transgo. Like me you have no gearbox issues at the moment so this should be quite a good situation to make a direct comparison . Try to ignore the placebo affect that we all feel from time to time, I swear my car drives better after washing it, and let me know what you think. I would be very interested and grateful .
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spannerrash
These are my thoughts also really. 60k is almost 10years millage for me. Fuel prices are to high here in the UK to run one of these car's as a daily driver, for me anyhow. I suspect something else serious would have gone wrong with the gearbox or car in general within that time. I hope I'm wrong.

what would be interesting is to see if you notice any driveability improvements after fitting the Transgo. Like me you have no gearbox issues at the moment so this should be quite a good situation to make a direct comparison . Try to ignore the placebo affect that we all feel from time to time, I swear my car drives better after washing it, and let me know what you think. I would be very interested and grateful .
I will gladly give my review of this addition once it's complete. I had one installed on my A8L (D2) and it helped me with transmission shift-flares and drop-down shifts...so I'm hoping to have at least the same degree of smiles after this one is completed! The biggest change for me will be the "upgraded" valve-body as my A8L didn't have this done at the time...

Quick Reply: 5hp24A preventative / planned maintenance advice