A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A8 died then wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's about the bucks afterall...

More than half a dozen of us here used the Bosch Platinum +4 (model# 4457) with no problem whatsoever.

Many shops have "connections" to get a certain parts for cheap; they would want to maximize their profits by recommending/controlling usage of the brand/model they could get the best deal on (buy low and sell high)...

It's the same ethical problem that I see when they try to earn your $300 labor off a fuel assembly replacement rather than the $60 labor from fuel filter change.

For sanity sake or potential gas mileage improvement, I'd change the fuel filter if I were you. $30 filter and $60-80 labor or $0 DIY, altogether still costs way less than 2 tanks of gas. I've already hated myself not to change that earlier.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: how much gas is in the tank?? COULD BE fuel sending unit... may NOT be fuel pump...

After $900 and a (second) fuel pump (the shop claimed the first one must have been bad)they are now saying that the tank seemed almost empty even though the gauge showed a little less than half a tank. They are now checking the sending unit. I have ran this car well below a quarter tank before and have never had an issue. The night the car died, I can remember putting gas in the tank eairlier that day and the gauge readin about 3 quarters of a tank. After running errands all day the tank read a half a tank, and then just below a half a tank when the problem originally occured
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: did it crank and just not fired up? and what's your fuel level at that time?

After shop replaced the pump, car started but choked and died when giving it gas. Shop claimed it must have been a defective pump they received. After the second pump, they are now saying that the tank seemed empty even though the gauge read a little more than 1/4 tank. They are now trying to diagnose why the gauge is not reading accurately and beleive it might be the fuel sending unit. I have run this car well below 1/4 tank before (hunting for cheap gas) and it never gave me a problem.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Car Starts, runs for 2 seconds then runs really rough then dies.

I have a problem with my 99 a4 1.8t...it will start up and idle but once i rev it, it bogs down and stalls, i plugged the ecu comp in and it read that the injector circuits are stuck open on all 4 cylinders...what do you think the problem could be ????...thanks for any help

Car Starts, runs for 2 seconds then runs really rough then dies.