A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 A8 vs 2002 A4 vs 2002 allroad

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 97 A8 vs 2002 A4 vs 2002 allroad

So in the past two weeks I have had the pleasure to drive a 2002 A4 1.8T and a 2002 allroad.

In summary, I'm really happy I have a 97 A8!

My girlfriend and myself took her A4 to Detroit this weekend, drove almost 600 miles, I can say that it is a very nice car. Great build quality, quality materials, comfort and even an engine that will keep the car going as fast as you want, and it's very quiet. But it doesn't have gobs of torque, and I thought it would have more power, but it just doesn't get up and go, but it can go fast.

I think I liked driving the A4 more than the allroad which surprised me. I found the allroad (and the A4) to be too small for me. I'm 5' 11" (I tell all the girls I'm 6' ) and 200lbs. Not huge, not small. The one thing that really bothers me is that my right leg hits the center console and it hurts after any length of driving.

I did not like the seating/floorboard arrangement in the allroad. After three days of driving it, my left hip was killing me. Couldn't put my leg on the dead clutch pedal like I can in my A8, and always had to keep my left foot planted on floorboard. Maybe it was the way I had the seat or something, but my hip killed me!

The allroad has great power, probably the same off the line speed as the A8, but the gears are much shorter. If I have a turbo, I want a stick so I can control the engine power with my right foot. And I think I like a high pressure turbo better than the low pressure turbos found on these cars. I was surprised how well the allroad handles with the all season, all surface tires!

I got back into my car at the end of the Detroit trip, and I loved the way the car smelled, how it has gobs of torque and how comfortable and large the interior is.

The other two cars are great too, but I'm glad I have an A8 (I like to call my car a poor man's S8!)!
Old 09-15-2002, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep, I still really like mine too!

Over the last couple of months I've been driving between Chicago and Columbus Ohio many weekends in a row (2x300miles+heavy traffic=16 hours per weekend). During these trips I would only take about 45 minutes off rest and feel fine on Monday!

I have noticed that my next car will either have to be an economy class car or a big luxury car (A8 or S8, no doubt!). Why? When I sat down in a number of cars showed at last year's Detroit Autoshow, I noticed that I fit fine in for example a Saturn and in a Audi S8 (I already knew that of course) but felt cramped in cars like the Audi A4 or Lexus IS 300. My conclusion was that a lot of cars in this "mid-segment" seem to stuff their doors with controls and accessories and have a console or armrests in between the seats, leaving not enough room for bigger guys like us. Most economy cars don't have stuffed doors or armrests in between the front seats and big luxury cars are wide enough to provide room for such things. Another reason why I still like my A8!
Old 09-16-2002, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 A8 vs 2002 A4 vs 2002 allroad

I have to admit the S8 is a great car for trips, the longer the better.

The A4 1.8 really needs to be chipped (and it needs the manual to allow you to manage RPM). The stock torque is well behind the small V6 options in most of the econo cars. A decent chip gets peak torque up to 245 foot pounds and HP on the '01+ engines with variable cams to 205+. That still isnt awsome compared to what can be done but it does make the car much more lively.

I am 6'3" and weigh 230 these days. I dont find the A4 cockpit cramped for me but it is cozy - in the tradition of sports cars. I do sometimes wish the pedals could be adjusted a couple inches toward the front. I opted for the cloth manual sport seats. They support much better than those "comfort" seats and the manual seat has a wider range of height adjustment (I can wear a race helmet without bumping my head even though I have the sunroof). What has me in love with my 4 is the exceptionally light, balanced and quick feel it has with a well sorted set of aftermarket bits like suspension, wheels, brakes and a couple drivetrain upgrades, in addition to the first class Audi styling (at least the B5 - I am not a fan of the B6) and build quality. On a long trip though, the added quiet and space of the 8 is certainly welcome.