A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D2 Oil Cooler Leaking - Need Cost Estimates for Whats Fair

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by QUA8RO
Used A8s are the best automotive bang for the buck if you've got the cojones to risk the cost of maintenance.
+1
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest that gruven needs to make the part somehow "different" from the excellent piece provided by Bufkin. Also, dissimilar metals corrosion via galvanic action jumps into overdrive when you mix them together in a flowing conductive pool of coolant. I've yet to hear of a single failure using the Bufkin aluminum pipe. And, yes, BS on dealer insistence that engine has to be lifted. It doesn't, read my rambling notes added to the writeup about how to position it.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
I would suggest that gruven needs to make the part somehow "different" from the excellent piece provided by Bufkin. Also, dissimilar metals corrosion via galvanic action jumps into overdrive when you mix them together in a flowing conductive pool of coolant. I've yet to hear of a single failure using the Bufkin aluminum pipe. And, yes, BS on dealer insistence that engine has to be lifted. It doesn't, read my rambling notes added to the writeup about how to position it.
+1 to all ^^that^^
Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gruven is now making the pipe from aluminum. They have read this post and called me back to say they would be happy to make from aluminum instead of stainless as it's easier to machine. They said they still can make them from stainless if a customer requests it.

So looks like 2 options exist. As I said befor I didn't know about the eBay seller until now, but I do not like to buy off fleabay as I have been burned many many times. Sounds like this ebay seller is legitimate but ebay is almost impossible to deal with.

Originally Posted by QUA8RO
Thanks SIlverD2.

What threw me was the outside metal pipe. It was so messy / caked up, that I couldn't tell it had an o-ring on it until I gave it some liquid wrench and some elbow grease with a shop towel. I then had to use an exacto blade to cut it off. From there, it made sense.

Yep, have the aluminum unit with the 4 o-rings on it.

I've now got the oil cooler back installed, alternator on, airbox (with new filter), new serpentine belt, and new plugs (why not, I was in there). Tomorrow, finish the front end and fender assembly, load teh fluids, hook up the battery, pray, turn the key, observe, and pray some more.

Hopefully another 2 years, then on to an 08 or 09.

Used A8s are the best automotive bang for the buck if you've got the cojones to risk the cost of maintenance.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
As I said befor I didn't know about the eBay seller until now, but I do not like to buy off fleabay as I have been burned many many times. Sounds like this ebay seller is legitimate but ebay is almost impossible for me to deal with.
Fixed.