A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 fuel pump relay

I've had my 1999 A8 parked up for 3 years and this Easter decided to get it back on the road charged the battery and put 3 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank and turned the key
The engine turns over but wont run as fuel is not getting through
It will start using easy start aerosol tin but no fuel coming through so it may possibly be that the fuel pump relay is faulty

I have found fuses under the lower drivers side dash but no fuel pump fuse and cant find any relays for the pump on my model to try and short out the relay as described in a previous thread relating to an overseas model or newer

so would like to know the location of the fuse and relay for the fuel pump

Hope somebody can help as I forgotten how nice this car is to sit in and really want to drive it again

Chris
Old 03-27-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderrider
I've had my 1999 A8 parked up for 3 years and this Easter decided to get it back on the road charged the battery and put 3 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank and turned the key
The engine turns over but wont run as fuel is not getting through
It will start using easy start aerosol tin but no fuel coming through so it may possibly be that the fuel pump relay is faulty

I have found fuses under the lower drivers side dash but no fuel pump fuse and cant find any relays for the pump on my model to try and short out the relay as described in a previous thread relating to an overseas model or newer

so would like to know the location of the fuse and relay for the fuel pump

Hope somebody can help as I forgotten how nice this car is to sit in and really want to drive it again

Chris
You fuel pump is most likely dead.
Order a VDO pump from partsgeek and be done with it. (cheap substitutes don't work well)

-Richard
Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Relays are under the passenger floor (might be drivers floor on LHD models? But I think it's passenger floor on both).
Lift the carpet (literally, it lifts out) and you'll find a MDF panel held in by a couple of screws. Remove screws, remove panel and find the relays.
Not sure which one is fuel pump - hopefully someone else will chime in.

In my case when I wanted to test the pump, I directly wired it from the battery to the fuel pump plug in the boot (trunk) with some good quality wire with crimp rings on one end, a toggle switch on the negative wire and spade connectors on the other end.
Very easy to decipher wires at the plug - I think there's 4, 2 are very thin and are the level sender wires, the two thick ones are the fuel pump wires.
You just need to get positive and negative right (can't access Bentley right now, but I remember it being reasonably obvious?).
Unplug the fuel pump, plug jumper wires at fuel pump first (no sparks), then at battery (positive first and toggle switch off - again no sparks).
If you suspect it's seized, you can put a 10A fuse in line for additional safety.
When ready to test, flick the switch (you'll have to be in the boot (trunk) to hear if it's running).

If it works, look to fuse and relay.
If it doesn't work replace the fuel pump.

If it's been sitting for a long time, replace the fuel filter too. Old fuel can go partly thick and clog items like the filter.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuel Pump Relay in front passenger on my U.S. model

Relay is on front passenger side at the lower part of the firewall. My 2000 A8 fuel gauge dead, would not start. Relay handles the fuel gauge and fuel pump. Pulled relay and reinserted. Fuel gauge working and it started right up. Pulled relay again and cleaned terminals off. Have had no problems since.