A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Intake Arms 077-198-327A

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
I did stock up on free Cliff Bars and Vitamin waters in the service waiting room though There were so many sad faces in that wating room.

LOL! Yeah that place is like a morgue isnt it ? Waiting for that service guy to lop your head off. Thats why this forum is so great.

Ive heard to seafoam actually disintegrates the plastic buts its OK for older engines. Sounds like some have had good success here though.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
I've heard to seafoam actually disintegrates the plastic buts its OK for older engines. Sounds like some have had good success here though.
It would depend what Seafoam consists of.
Things like the inlet manifold have to withstand heat and oil - and it's nasty oil too, vapours that come through the EGR and PCV systems.
So despite the fact that a lot of modern vehicles use polymer manifolds, they are still pretty robust materially.
I think manifold cleaning should be a regular part of engine maintenance, as a clogged up manifold will reduce performance (just ask the FSI owners!). Subaru dealers sell an alternative to Seafoam for those that don't trust it (at least they do down here).
There's also a Nulon product, but you may not be able to get Nulon in the 'states.

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 10-01-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do you guys use seafoam every once and a while to help clean the intake manifolds? ive heard some swear by it and others say it will disintegrate the intake manifold.
Although there is nothing wrong (good, in fact) with cleaning your manifold, it would not likely touch the central problem (design flaw) with D2 A8/S8 manifolds. The front pivots seize up (guaranteed to) mainly because they are totally isolated from the interior of the manifold with a very efficient spring lip vacuum seal (photo).

The rear pivots (interior rear of manifold) are constantly lubricated by oil vapor from the PCV valve....dripping with oil. The outer pivots (the problem) get no lube EVER...totally dry composite shaft turning in an aluminum bore NOT sealed on the outside (road dirt). I firmly believe that sealed roller/ball bearings here instead would have cured the eventual seizing problem.

Name:  intakechangeover13.jpg?t=1299430848.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  173.8 KB
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

is the intake manifold itself actually made from plastic on these cars ? never heard of such a thing ...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

is the intake manifold itself actually made from plastic on these cars ? never heard of such a thing ...
No, just the internal changeover flaps and unfortunately the front stem pivot point.

Here's a post where a much worse problem was remedied...a good look at the manifold guts >>>

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/181.phtml
Old 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know a good engine code scanner ? I have a Iphone 5 and can use that, or just buy a dedicated scanner that i can reset codes with. All i own our OBDII cars so anything with that capability.

Ive replaced the links with the billet 1s and all is good but now i have another issue i want to diagnose.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is this dealer waiting room you speak of? I once had to go to a shop, but they were pressure testing the cylinder heads I brought them. We ate donuts, and looked at all manner of manly engine bits. The worn wood floors were embedded with the oily dirt you only find in junkyards and machine shops. The fluorescent lights were cheap and loud. No one there ever had a manicure or paid more than 15 bucks for a haircut. Customers Ohhhed and Ahhhhed over the magic wrought by steam cleaning and walnut shell blasting. The wall calendars were all obscene. I need another project just to go back and visit.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know a good engine code scanner ? I have a Iphone 5 and can use that, or just buy a dedicated scanner that i can reset codes with. All i own our OBDII cars so anything with that capability.

Ive replaced the links with the billet 1s and all is good but now i have another issue i want to diagnose.
up for what scanners you use to reset your codes please.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

up for what scanners you use to reset your codes please.
I own this one:

Autel MaxiScan MS409 OBD-II/EOBD Scanner : Amazon.com : Automotive Autel MaxiScan MS409 OBD-II/EOBD Scanner : Amazon.com : Automotive

It's worked well for all our vehicles (Accord, Bronco & S8), and it's my go to before firing up the laptop and VCDS (an evap leak is an evap leak whether the generic scanner reads it or the Audi software reads it). It stores codes with an actual text description which is nice, and is also battery powered so I can bring it inside without having to write any of the codes down. There are literally hundreds of scanner options out there; just make sure it's got all the bells and whistles you're after. There are basic ones for around $15 that will give DTC codes and clear your CEL, like this one:
Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

Last edited by S8ilver; 11-12-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
What is this dealer waiting room you speak of? I once had to go to a shop, but they were pressure testing the cylinder heads I brought them. We ate donuts, and looked at all manner of manly engine bits. The worn wood floors were embedded with the oily dirt you only find in junkyards and machine shops. The fluorescent lights were cheap and loud. No one there ever had a manicure or paid more than 15 bucks for a haircut. Customers Ohhhed and Ahhhhed over the magic wrought by steam cleaning and walnut shell blasting. The wall calendars were all obscene. I need another project just to go back and visit.
Nice...how a proper shop should be! The one thing that made my day while I had to schlep it at the dealership was plopping my old battery up on their service counter. The little turtleneck sweater parts minion couldn't lift it and drug it across the counter to place on the floor. The bottom of the battery left 2 deep gouges across the counter top. I chuckled on the inside, then went to gorge myself on the "complimentary" food and drink while they "tested" my completely dead battery that I had let them know was on a battery charger overnight.

Quick Reply: A8 Intake Arms 077-198-327A