A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 owners, what do you like better about it than the A6 (with one of the 2 new engines)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 12:40 PM
AHB A4

A8 owners, what do you like better about it than the A6 (with one of the 2 new engines)?
Old 11-23-1999, 01:36 PM
Bill Mills

Default Re: A8 owners, what do you like better about it than the A6 (with one of the 2 new engines)?

It's has more features, both technologicaly as well bells and whistles, it weighs close to if not less than the 4.2 A6, it is built on a stand alone platform, has better lines and has higher esoteric/historic value. Anyone else want to add anything?
Old 11-23-1999, 02:21 PM
AHB A4

Default What specifically are the additional features? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the A8. But,...

...I'm just wondering if the demand for them will diminish since the A6 has been beefed up and is more luxurious than before.
Old 11-23-1999, 03:13 PM
Ali B

Default I agree with you (more)

I think the new upgraded 2000 A8 is the best looking full-size luxury sedan on the market. As far as additional features compared to an A6 4.2, I think the A8 4.2 only adds standard rear side airbags. I really think Audi should include xenon headlights and navigation system as standard equipment on the A8. Its nearest competitors (BMW 740i and MB S-Class) have one or both of these items as standard equipment on their 2000 models.

The biggest advantage of the A8 over the A6 4.2 in my opinion is the superior exterior sheetmetal, lightweight body, and extra luxury in the interior (additional wood trim). Performance-wise, the two cars are very close.

I think if you time your A8 purchase right, it wouldn't cost that much more than an A6 4.2. Audi was running $6,500 dealer incentives a few months ago to clear remaining '99 inventories.
Old 11-24-1999, 02:06 PM
Bart Lane

Default Why I bought A6 4.2 over A8.

I recently bought an A6 4.2 off a lot here in Seattle. I went in to drive the A8. I was in luck because the dealer had three very similar cars on his lot, all Melange on Melange and all 2000 with similar options, Quattro and Tiptronics. An A8, A6 4.2, and A6 2.7T.

The 2.7T was out of the choice right away because it was much too sporting in nature than what I wanted. (I have a sports car already.) I wanted pure luxury in this car. Also, I don't know why, but the leather did not feel as soft and smooth as in the two 4.2 liter cars. Nice car but not what I was looking for.

Choosing between the A8 and A6 4.2 was probably one of the hardest automotive selections I have ever had to make. I went with the A6 only because it felt more natural to me. Perhaps I would have gotten used to the A8 over time and liked it better but I was at home right away in the A6 4.2 and just could not shake that initial reaction. See, a silly reason but I liked them both equally other than that.

The A6 4.2 is a little more visually dynamic and attention getting than the A8 because of the thick flares around the wheels, the crazy looking 17" wheels, and the general oddness of the A6 body overall. The A8 is timeless though, the large body is just a classic design that will never get old, like a Rolls, Bentley, or a Bugatti.

I think though, as I age, I will prefer the A8 in the future and when I trade this car in will push myself to get an A8 simply because it is probably the top of the line Sedan on the planet and shows pure class over attention getting desires. Seems the A8 really impresses people who understand and love automobiles. That's a good thing.
Old 11-24-1999, 08:18 PM
Bill Mills

Default Re: What specifically are the additional features? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the A8. But,...

I don't know. I have to agree with Ali B. Due to the price point, I think Audi may have a problem selling the A6 4.2. The A8 is pretty close in price. When your talking this much money for a car, I think a potential A6 4.2q buyer would take a long look at an A8 4.2q. In this price range a few thousand dollars isn't that big of a leap.
Kinda seems like a no brainer. The A6 just doen't have the good looks of the A8 and the A8 has more intrinsic and dare I say historic value. You could definitly get into a very low milage A8 for less than the A6 4.2, if you could find one.
Old 11-25-1999, 12:45 AM
Cameron

Default A8 also has highest median buyer income of all German luxury models

nt
Old 11-25-1999, 12:47 AM
Cameron

Default A comment on this statistic...

This statistic came out last year and didn't surprise me at all, aside from the fact that the cities that come to mind when I think of wealthy cities I've lived in and visited cannot hold an A8 (no place to park it due to its size) -- Geneva, Paris, Hong Kong.

The question is whether Bentley and Rolls-Royce are considered German luxury brands. I don't know what the median income of the A8 owners surveyed was, but I'm guessing muchi higher than the median income of Rolls-Royce or Bentley owners, though they may not have as high a number in the net worth column.

In any case, it's an interesting statistic.

Cameron
Old 11-28-1999, 02:36 PM
Kendall-

Default Re: Where did you read this statistic???

Living in the NYC area, it seems to me that the status mobile of the Super Wealthy is the Mercedes S-Class. (the unanimous choice..) I seriously doubt the median income or average net worth of an A8 owner comes close to that of the typical Rolls Royce/Bentley buyer.. Is is also Interesting to note that you mentioned a city like Hong Kong cannot hold cars the size of the A8 because Hong Kong has the highest number of RR/Bentleys per capita, out of any other country in the world.. (read it in Business Week)
Old 11-28-1999, 08:07 PM
Cameron

Default And we all remember the drive from the HK airport...

The old airport. Past the largest Ferrari/Bentley/Rolls importer in the world.

A large part of that population is the fleet for the Peninsula and the personal fleets of two major Chinese banking families. The Peninsula has used Silver Seraphs when I have been there, but provided an E420 4Matic during my last visit due to a large conference eating into the motor pool. Allegedly, they will be purchasing one or two Bentley Red Labels for guest use when the car is released.

I read the statistic on, I believe, the Forbes site. Forbes, in the Nov. 1 issue also states that its median per reader per annum income is ~$130,000, a number that may be high or low. All polls like this come down to sample population.

From what I have observed, interacting with a number of owners of exotic, interesting, and rare cars is that the fewer examples of a car that are encountered by the press, the lower the income number will be. In other words, the peon in the Forbes press department goes, "Gee, we know these four people own Bentleys, but only one of them will talk to us for a dumb story like this. We'll use him as median income, he seems like a pretty average Bentley owner."

I would say that there are really five hallmark wealthy household toys:

The XJ (VP or not, it's still an XJ)
The S (V12 or not, it's still an S)
The 911 (Twin Turbo or not, it's still a 911)
The Range Rover (Safari Ed. or not, it's a Rover)
The 456 (GTA, GTM, GTRM Touring, it's the best Ferrari on Earth)

I don't list the XK, the Aston, Rolls, or the Bentley because it is unclear that these nameplates will retain the past brand equity held with families of stature under new ownership with new brand ideals. The XJ is given mention because it has already endured many evolutions and, unlike the XK series, without any significant breaks in its lineage.

There are plenty of A8 owners, and of those who have high net worth and a relatively high influx of new assets per year through earnings, investments, and the appreciation of instruments, trusts, etc. very few are unhappy to talk about their aluminum cars with the press. I would guess that fewer than five Bentley (Arnage) owners were surveyed and that fewer than ten A8 owners were surveyed. And, the A8 owner list likely included the more famous owners -- Jerry Seinfeld, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc. while the Bentley owners were somewhat fortunate beneficiaries or life tenants with unheard-of family names.

Cameron

Quick Reply: A8 owners, what do you like better about it than the A6 (with one of the 2 new engines)?